Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ISO Design-A-Quilt machine user >

ISO Design-A-Quilt machine user

ISO Design-A-Quilt machine user

Old 06-17-2023, 06:09 PM

Default ISO Design-A-Quilt machine user

I bought a DAQ machine at a yard sale where a lady had used it for her business and passed away and Hubby was selling all her quilting stuff. I have it running BUT my thread keeps breaking. I have tried the tension on top and bobbin, slowed the speed and am trying to go slow when I use it. ANY HELP to figure out this problem would make my day better. I quilt for charity and need to get this running. Thanks for any response.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:11 PM
Gay

Try a new needle (it may need to be turned to 5.35), spray the thread well with silicone, or there may be a burr on the needle plate. Check how easily the thread pulls through with the foot up, if it's difficult the top thread tension need loosening. Hope I've helped.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:29 AM

Haven’t heard of that machine, but have you tried different brands and weights of thread, making sure to use a compatible needle?

on searching, there is a very old thread on this forum, not sure if it is something you want to read or not.
Design-A-Quilt Free-Hander Quilting Machine

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 06-18-2023 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:24 AM

Post #6 on this said there might be a burr in the needle plate. Try running some sand paper in the needle plate hole. Hope this helps.

Design-a-Quilt quilting machine
Old 06-18-2023, 12:33 PM

Don't know what you mean by "it may need to be turned to 5.35". I have changed the needle several times from size 16 to 18 and back again. Both top and bottom thread pulls easily.
What type of silicone do I spray the thread with. I have never heard of spraying thread with anything - other than making sure it is good.
Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Mrs V; 06-18-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:01 PM
Gay

When you look at a clock face, your needle eye faces to the front at 6 o'clock, so before tightening the screw you place another needle or pin in the eye and turn it a tad to the right - or 5.35, and tighten the screw. I have to do this with my quilting machine.

The Silicone spray I get from our hardware stores, and find it takes the dryness off the thread and feeds easier. It doesn't do the fabric or thread any harm, and you won't notice any difference.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:22 PM

What size thread are you using, and is it compatible with the needle? If the eye of the needle is too small, it could be causing friction on the thread and making it break.

How old and what kind is the thread? You can also dip the cone or spool in clear mineral oil, set it on a paper towel to soak in and drain, then try again.

Interesting. I did a search and found this old thread, referencing the machine. Not good news, I'm afraid. I had forgotten all about that!
Design-a-Quilt quilting machine

Last edited by Peckish; 06-18-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:43 PM

Another thread with info about that machine.
Design-A-Quilt Free-Hander Quilting Machine
Old 06-19-2023, 04:10 PM

I will try turning the needle to "5.35" and spraying the thread with Silicone.
I have tried Tex 27 and Tex 40 thread in different brands I have here and it still breaks. I have used size 16 & 18 needles too.

When I bought the machine they gave me Tex 40 thread and size 16, 18 and a few 14 needles. The 14 needles seem like they would be for T-shirt quilts as they are for knits. All the bobbins were pre wound in basic colors.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:38 PM

When you've tried everything else, it could be the timing. If you can turn the handwheel to see if the needle is deflecting off the hook, that will cause the thread to break. Or if there's a burr on the hook.