Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
"Nice" Cream >

"Nice" Cream

"Nice" Cream

Old 06-19-2023, 11:54 AM

Default "Nice" Cream

WW has put out a recipe for many years, offering a substitute for ice cream that is pretty good. The base recipe couldn't be easier, just 2 ingredients: frozen bananas and vanilla extract. From this, you can add many other flavors s/a strawberries, cocoa, pb powder, blueberries, peaches, etc. Just blend them up in a food processor until smooth and freeze for a little while, until semi-firm. Personally, I like it a bit sweeter, so I add some monk fruit to it. Easy!
Old 06-19-2023, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

One of my favorite WW 'ice cream' treats are the ice cream sandwiches. Two chocolate graham cracker with Cool whip piled very thick in the middle, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. But the chocolate graham crackers are no where to be found anymore. I find the little snack one shaped like a bear. I have been using the regular ones but the chocolate ones make a big difference. Also the pineapple cake dessert is another favorite. Just two ingredients to make the cake. This cake would be great with the banana ice cream!
https://simple-nourished-living.com/...d-cake-recipe/

Some tips:
  • Be sure to use the 1-step angel food cake mix, like the one from Betty Crocker, that says, "just add water."
  • And you'll want a 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple in juice (not heavy syrup).
  • One reader tried cupcakes and left a comment that it didn't work. So, I'd suggest sticking with a 9x13-pan
Old 06-22-2023, 05:40 AM

Another WW nice cream recipe:

Smoked Spiced Chocolate. The recipe says to grill the bananas over a low, smokey fire first, then add cocoa, sugar, almond milk, hot pepper and cinnamon. I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by tropit; 06-22-2023 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:32 AM

I had a banana that was starting to "go" and I wasn't really hungry for dinner so I gave this a try. Wow!!! I used the banana, vanilla, and also had some ricotta cheese left over from something else so I threw that in for extra protein (cottage cheese would probably work too, or just stick to the original "recipe"). It was absolutely delicious and will be my new go-to as a meal substitute, dessert, or just a snck.. Thanks so much Tropit. Oh - you don't need a food processor. A cheap blender works just fine as long as the banana is FROZEN.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
I had a banana that was starting to "go" and I wasn't really hungry for dinner so I gave this a try. Wow!!! I used the banana, vanilla, and also had some ricotta cheese left over from something else so I threw that in for extra protein (cottage cheese would probably work too, or just stick to the original "recipe"). It was absolutely delicious and will be my new go-to as a meal substitute, dessert, or just a snck.. Thanks so much Tropit. Oh - you don't need a food processor. A cheap blender works just fine as long as the banana is FROZEN.
Oooohhh...the cheese sounds like a good addition. I think that NF cottage cheese is a zero point food too, but I'm not positive about that. I'll have to try it! Thanks.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM

I tried bananas and fresh cut pineapple...skipped the vanilla. Very good! The pineapple was a nice, tart component that improved the flavor. I'm buying a lot more bananas today.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:54 AM

I found another WW recipe for nice cream and this one uses (you won't believe it) zucchini instead of bananas. I have not tried it yet, but since I have 2 zucchini plants going off right now, I certainly will give it a go soon. Here's the recipe:

Chocolate-Zucchini Nice Cream

Ingredients:

12oz, Uncooked zucchini, trimmed
1⁄2cup Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1⁄4cup cocoa powder
3Tbsp Maple syrup
1tsp Vanilla extract
1⁄4tsp Table salt

Instructions:

Shred the zucchini or cut it into spirals. Spread the zucchini out over a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Freeze until frozen solid, about 2 hours.

Break the frozen zucchini into chunks. Place the zucchini, almond milk, cocoa, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt in a blender; blend on high speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container. Freeze until firm enough to scoop, at least 3 to 4 hours. If freezing overnight (or longer), allow the "ice" cream to soften for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature before serving.

Serving size: about ¾ cup

* From the WW program
Old 07-11-2023, 05:22 AM

So...I tried the Zucchini Nice Cream. Not bad. Does it taste like ice cream...no. It's more like a light sorbet. We could not taste the zucchini in it at all. No one would ever guess that it was a main ingredient. It was refreshing and very light, low cal, healthy, plus, it's one more way to use up zucchini. The DH loved it! I'd make it again. It might be good with PB powder, or instead of cocoa, use strawberries.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:23 AM

Wow, that's an interesting one!

Our zucchini have just started to blossom. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll try this version or not, lol.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Wow, that's an interesting one!

Our zucchini have just started to blossom. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll try this version or not, lol.
Ohhhh...give it a go, PeaceandJoy. Life's an adventure! I have to say, it's not fantastic, but it is edible.