Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend  July 7- ? >

Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

Old 07-08-2023, 09:03 AM

Default Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

I've been making up kits for our 3 month travels this fall, but got to playing with my selvages yesterday so at the machine I've been making more blocks and cutting them in quarters. Because so much is in the seams it is taking a lot more than I thought! I'm going to have to beat the bushes for more

My heavy duty machine is home from the spa so I also need to patch some of the knees in Rob's jeans. He says it says "I love you", I say it saves nearly $45.00 a pair that stays in my retirement funds! I also repaired one of my light knit sweaters this morning. Life is good.
Attached Thumbnails selveges.jpg  
Old 07-08-2023, 09:37 AM

Cute selvage blocks, KalamaQ! I did not save my selvages, but I admire those who do. I've seen some amazing selvage quilts.

No sewing for me right now -- back trouble. After some observation, I think it may be the cutting that is the issue, and may be time for an electric cutting machine. I've avoided thinking about it because they seem so darned complicated. I enjoy the simplicity and straightforwardness of the rotary blade and cutting mat.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:07 AM

No sewing today, but I will be cutting out a chandelier quilt that should have been gifted in June to a high school graduate. Oh, well. it's too warm for it now anyway!

Might do some straight line cross-hatch quilting on a donation quilt today or add a binding to another. We shall see!
Old 07-08-2023, 10:30 AM

Started a Dream Big panel using Pro Stitcher Premium. Have had a few problems but defintely learning this Pro Stitcher Premium. Perfect day for this. It's raining and DH is working on his 64 Ford Fairlane and it's a pizza day (no cooking)! I agree KalamaQuilts, life is good!
Old 07-08-2023, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
No sewing for me right now -- back trouble. After some observation, I think it may be the cutting that is the issue, and may be time for an electric cutting machine. I've avoided thinking about it because they seem so darned complicated. I enjoy the simplicity and straightforwardness of the rotary blade and cutting mat.
When I was having my worst back issues cutting machines weren't even a spark in someone's eye, now I have serious eye issues, and at my age, I think cutting machines would not be in my best interest. But now... and since most of my stash is used or sold, I will certainly consider precut quilts down the road. Expensive, but not the waste of buying and then storing fabric Anything that keeps us in our happy place and serves us well is to be considered.

From observing here on the board I think the machine costs are more in the shape sets. I only use pieces 3" or less and the 4 or 5 different basic shapes and I think those come in sets now. So probably really practical if I were middle aged. Let us know what you decide!
Old 07-08-2023, 10:53 AM

I'm working on FMQ my queen size log cabin.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:06 AM

LQS has sale $35% off. Bought wide back, mint green for planned project and Christmas for game at next quilting group day this week. Also replacement ruler. All planed purchases. Pat on the back……

Cut the pieces for game.

Planning this months quilt projects. So need to get into stash.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:14 AM

Making another Project Linus quilt using the Marbles pattern from the Simply Fat Quarter Book. I have a yard of fabric bought off Facebook last year and it has cartoon super hero's on it. Putting it together with other pieces from my stash. Hoping to finish sewing all the pieces sometime tomorrow and may be able to quilt it on Monday.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:18 AM

Just finished up a queen size quilt and onto the next project. I'm going to do a bargello wall hanging/lap quilt from a Fons and Porter quilting book. I've ironed and starched the material and oiled up Ernestine (my Singer model 66 treadle) to get her ready for sewing. Giving Mabel (my Singer 201-2) a much needed rest from all the FMQ I did on the queen size.

Shari
Old 07-08-2023, 11:23 AM

I'm struggling to finish a scrappy top that seems to be taking much longer than I expected with the a/c and other house issues. I'm still working on my heart EPP project but that's kind of ongoing and I'm going to try making some hair scrunchies to keep my mop of hair out of my face and at least somewhat controlled in the hot weather.