Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Assistance >

Free Motion Quilting Assistance

Free Motion Quilting Assistance

Old 07-23-2023, 08:33 AM

Post Free Motion Quilting Assistance

Hi all,
I recently purchased a Juki TL2000Qi and the Grace Cutie Frame. I completed my quilt top and have it machine loaded on the frame, with a sample quilt sandwich to practice with. My problem is I am unable to pull up the bobbin thread, and if I do get it up, the stitches don't lock and all I see is the top thread and no stitches.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:46 AM

loosen your top tension
Old 07-23-2023, 10:12 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Maroosh View Post
Hi all,
I recently purchased a Juki TL2000Qi and the Grace Cutie Frame. I completed my quilt top and have it machine loaded on the frame, with a sample quilt sandwich to practice with. My problem is I am unable to pull up the bobbin thread, and if I do get it up, the stitches don't lock and all I see is the top thread and no stitches.
Have you tried sewing with the TL off the frame, and if so, do the stitches form correctly? If so, it could either be thread tension or you have the quilt sandwich too taut - you should be able to slightly grab your fingertip if you poke from the underside. If it doesn't stitch properly (any kind of sewing) off the frame, there's possibly a timing issue with the machine. Is it a new machine where you have a dealer to help or did you buy it used?
Old 07-23-2023, 12:09 PM

My older Nolting quilting machine won't stich if my quilt sandwich is too taut. Lots of people say mine is way too loose, but my old gal doesn't like it tight. If I can bounce a quarter on it, she won't stitch it.
Does the machine sew properly if you aren't quilting?
Another thought...my foot is always in the correct position to quilt because it only has one position. With your machine, do you have to drop the feed dogs and then lower your quilting foot? It could be as simple as the quilting foot not being lowered.
Please let us know if you figure out what's going on.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-23-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:02 PM

If possible, lower your foot closer to the top of your quilt. It should just skim the fabric.

Watson
Old 07-25-2023, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had a chance to try the replies yet, but i hope to sometime today. Will keep you posted
Old 07-25-2023, 03:07 PM

I have the TL2010 on my Cutie frame. I have feed dogs down, stitch length set at 0. Also I know this sounds like a dumb question but did you lower your presser foot down (ask me how I know). Also on Facebook there is a wonderful group called Cutie Quilters where you can find out everything you ever wanted to know about the Cutie and many of us use the Juke TL machines as our dedicated machine on our frame.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:49 PM

The Juki TL machines have the needle in side ways. So make sure your needle is in correctly and pushed all the way up.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:17 AM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful information
Old 07-27-2023, 07:09 AM

Hi everyone,
I have tried all the replies - still no luck. I am so frustrated that I am ready to return my frame and just continue quilting using just the machine. My feed dogs are down, my stitch length is set to 0, I have adjusted to top and bottom tension, replaced the needle and threaded the machine more times than I ever have any other time. I currently have the ruler foot on the machine and have a open toe coming (hopefully by tomorrow), which I will put on the machine. All I can think of hopefully changing the foot will help. Thanks again