Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drunkards path a possibility >

Drunkards path a possibility

Drunkards path a possibility

Old 07-27-2023, 03:44 AM

Default Drunkards path a possibility

What size would you use to make the following quilt? Righ now I feel like Goldilocks, one is too big and one is too small. Need the one that is just right for me. I can get templates that will finish in either 4-6-8-or 10 inch size. The 10 inch I'm ruling out as I prefer the smaller ones, but I'm so undecided. In my mind the 6 inch will allow for more variety in the quilt. Have ton's of smaller pieces of fabric to be used...just need the templates .

Old 07-27-2023, 03:51 AM

Wow! Your scrap bin must be really, really interesting!! Have fun. whichever one you choose.
Old 07-27-2023, 04:07 AM

In the picture it looks like a 6” block. I have templates but haven’t tried one yet. Maybe I should put it at the top of my to do list
Old 07-27-2023, 04:08 AM

It is not hard to make your own template. I've made several out of plastic film meant for overhead projectors.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:41 AM

I think it would also depend on the size quilt you're making. I made the mistake of using 6" blocks to make a king sized quilt. That's a lot of blocks and a lot of sewing together to finish it.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

In my minds eye, I always like smaller, to emphasize the detail work of something along this idea.

That being said, there's a whole lot of curved seams to do for this quilt and curved seams are not always the most fun!

Maybe do some sample blocks and see which size you like working with better. In this case, larger blocks/circles will be easier to get the curve right. Then use those sample blocks for some mug rugs and the like.

Old 07-27-2023, 12:19 PM

As the blocks get smaller, the radius of the circle gets smaller. I think trying a 4” and 6” and maybe 8” to determine which circle diameter you’re willing to sew.

How big di you want the finished product? How large are your scraps?
Old 07-27-2023, 01:06 PM

I've done several DP quilts. they really are easy to stitch. just match centers of curves.
i like 6 or 8 inch DP's. just don't' get the much larger template set from Missouri Star Quilts. I ended up giving those away.
I got my DP templates long ago. one set is clear and one yellow. Backporch was one place that sold them.
Have fun!
Old 07-27-2023, 07:08 PM

I agree it looks like a 6” block. I have sewn 7” and 8”, and they are a breeze. I am currently sewing a 4” block, and it is MUCH more difficult. I just love Drunkard’s Path quilts, but I cut mine with either Accuquilt or Blue Wren dies. So accurate, and the little notch halfway around keeps me lined up without pins.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:08 AM

A long time ago, I bought some plastic templates for drunkard's path, and I've used them many times. They make a 4" quarter block and are easy to rotary cut and put together. I've never made anything larger than a throw, though.