Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Advice on YouTube >

Getting Advice on YouTube

Getting Advice on YouTube

Old 07-31-2023, 04:00 PM

Default Getting Advice on YouTube

Have you ever watched a video on YouTube and thought - this person is demonstrating all kinds of bad habits? Usually I'm engrossed in the information but since I had previously watched the video and was now just looking for a quick refresh I was distracted by other things. For instance, this person had clutter on the table that kept interfering with laying out the project. When she sewed, the fabric was bunched up and she just used her hands to create kind of a flat zone around the needle. When she went around the corner, she didn't turn the project, just the bit at the corner and then just shifted as needed. Pressing was done on a small mat but before straightening things out. Okay, this was a simple project - a self-binding baby blanket - and sure, it's simple and forgiving, but honestly! Just out of interest I looked at a couple other videos and found one that was the total opposite when it came to technique. This lady pinned everything in spades and pressed carefully, had everything flat at the machine. I don't need to say who put out the videos, but I will say that both carry the branding of well-known companies associated with quilting. The first video is the one I originally watched the first time I made these blankets but I think I'll take some tips from video number two and see if these don't turn out a bit nicer.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
Have you ever watched a video on YouTube and thought - this person is demonstrating all kinds of bad habits?
Yes. I can't stand to watch Jenny Doan press stuff, especially if it's bias.

I *LOVE* Donna Jordan's videos, however. They're clean, concise, no extra jibber-jabber, she explains why you do this or don't do that succinctly, and the camera work is perfect. I wish all quilting videos were as good as hers.

Last edited by Peckish; 07-31-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:33 PM

What infuriates me even more than bad techniques are the "chatty cathys" that make a 40 minute video for an item that only takes15 minutes to make in real time from start to finish, even with detailed instructions. I understand there are novice sewers watching who need more details, and that is ok, but many of these videographers go into way too much detail about unrelated subjects. I don't need to hear a 10 minute intro into why she's making the item. On a very personal note, I hate it when some people don't have everything ready when they start, and so part way thru they have to go find something while you wait. Haven't they heard of editing? I agree with Peckish, they could all learn from Donna Jordan.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Donna Jordan is very good but some of her techniques are time wasting to me. Jenny Doan is simple and doesn't take every step as if the quilt will be a prize winning heirloom. I've seen quiet a few of Jenny Doan's quilts in person and all are nicely made. I don't want to spend a lot of time making every detail perfect. Bonnie Hunter's quilts are beautiful and not certainly not perfectly pieced. Seen many of her quilts at her workshops. I will never be on the Sharon Schamber level but I have won enough local and regional blue ribbons to know my quilts are good enough to be judged without me getting stressed over it. . Right now I'm into Donna Roberson and Fran Morgan stye of quilts.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:16 AM

I find the introductions are too long. I usually skip ahead. I love YT.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Donna Jordan is very good but some of her techniques are time wasting to me. Jenny Doan is simple and doesn't take every step as if the quilt will be a prize winning heirloom. I've seen quiet a few of Jenny Doan's quilts in person and all are nicely made. I don't want to spend a lot of time making every detail perfect. Bonnie Hunter's quilts are beautiful and not certainly not perfectly pieced. Seen many of her quilts at her workshops. I will never be on the Sharon Schamber level but I have won enough local and regional blue ribbons to know my quilts are good enough to be judged without me getting stressed over it. . Right now I'm into Donna Roberson and Fran Morgan stye of quilts.
I agree 100% with you!!
Old 08-01-2023, 03:11 AM

The motto of 4-H is "to make the best better" and, having been a long-time member of 4-H in my youth, I came up with the expectation of "perfection" and how to get there. Not that my projects are perfect but I know differently than to duplicate some of the methods we see on the internet. I knew exactly who b.zang was watching from her explanation of the two presenters. The 4-H way of cooking is certainly different than what I commonly do nowadays but to expect "perfection" of the finished project it is good to know how it is supposed to be done to get the best finished project
I enjoy Donna Jordan's techniques and tips. She is an excellent teacher..
Old 08-01-2023, 03:22 AM

I really like Jenny Doan, I find her instructions easy to follow and I feel like I'm in the room with her.. Jenny will also admit to 'small mistakes' on her videos and acts human, and either fix it or let's you know it won't matter in the end. Jenny is more down to earth. She makes you feel like you are part of her family.

I also like Donna Jordan's video's, as her instructions are easy to follow, as well. But I find that, to me, she isn't quite the 'people' person. I've watched Donna make 'small mistakes' in her videos and she'll just look at the piece and ignore that she did it, instead acting like it is perfect. Donna seem more of a perfectionist and stiff. Expecially since I've seen her earlier video's when their shop was still open to the public and how she seemed annoyed around people.

Other video I've watched I can't get through some of them - matter of fact, I can't even recall their names. I really dislike it when they go off and start talking about their next vacation, or one they just got back from, or they talk to back and forth to the person taking the video, chatting about personal things, like 'oh, I really liked the blouse you wore on that trip etc. etc. --- and then, the actually quilting is so far from the 'lens' that you just see them sitting at the machine sewing and you can't even see what or how they are doing it.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:23 AM

Wow! I guess I don't watch that many YouTube videos of quilting. I only watch when I'm going to make something and have very little idea about the other stuff other than that I don't like when they get too chatty at the beginning, but I can just fast forward thru that.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:11 AM

Honestly the worst is when they have a live chat they are responding to..."helloooo Mary from Idaho! Nice to see you Suzie from New Mexico. Oh, Angela is here from France!!"....it can go on and on and is like listening to half of a phone conversation. Drives me batty and is often such a shame as good information and teaching is made too tiresome listen to.