Singer 401 pulls to left

Old 08-05-2023, 01:08 PM

Default Singer 401 pulls to left

Piecing on this machine is difficult. It's hard to keep a scant 1/4 inch seam as it pulls to the left. I just lived with it until I started using my 301 for piecing, and it doesn't do that. Is it the nature of the beast or does it need some adjustments? This is the machine I bought at auction several years ago that was totally frozen up. It took a long time to get it all freed up.

I do have another 401 that I have never used. I'm wondering it it would be worth the effort to see if it does the same thing, as I'm getting rid of the left overs from my sewing machine hobby. The only spare I'm keeping is my old Touch and Sew, which does a stretch stitch. (Of course, I'm keeping a 401, 301, 15-91 and 201.)

bkay
Old 08-05-2023, 06:49 PM

What are you sewing? According to a couple of sites, it is because of the weight or size is pulling it. But, I'm thinking that perhaps the feed dogs and/or the foot need adjusting. I'm wondering if one of these sites would help? https://seamwhisperer.com/fabric-pulling-left/ https://sewingmachinetalk.com/sewing-machine-pull-left/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 08-06-2023, 06:24 AM

I had this same problem recently with my Featherweight. The problem went away when I changed the needle.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:33 AM

Thanks,Betty. It has been a long term problem.

Janey, I'm talking about piecing a quilt, so that's sewing 2 small squares of fabric together - no pulling. I'll get another foot out and see if that helps.

The Rocketeer is gone!

bkay
Old 08-06-2023, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Janey, I'm talking about piecing a quilt, so that's sewing 2 small squares of fabric together - no pulling. I'll get another foot out and see if that helps.
bkay
I mean that there is no weight on it.
bk
Old 08-06-2023, 02:15 PM

Could it be a feed dog problem as in the feed dogs are pulling unevenly? I don't have any experience with this so it's just a thought.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:31 PM

Check the wear on the bottom of the foot you are using. Perhaps it is uneven, and contributing to the issue. My other thought is perhaps the needle bar is rotated slightly.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:08 AM

Does presser foot pressure make a difference if more? Or less?
Old 08-07-2023, 01:11 PM

The reason for the post was whether to pull out the spare 401, which hasn't been touched since I bought it. I don't remember if it was frozen up or what condition it's in. I would give it to someone if I was sure I could fix the current 401. The 301 pieces so perfectly and fast that I'm unlikely to to go back to piecing on the 401. However, The two 401's are the only zig-zag machines (besides a T&S) I have, so I want to keep one.

Unfortunately, I was hoping I could get an answer without having to work on one of the machines (or both). I guess I must be dreaming.

bkay
Old 09-11-2023, 10:59 AM

Default Problem solved!

It was a bent presser foot.

I was working on another 401 that has set in the bottom of a closet for years to give away. I can't seem to get the problems solved by the time I promised, so I'm giving her mine. I was double checking that everything works and remembered the left drifting foot (not a good idea for a new quilter). I tried another foot and it didn't pull. So, I looked closely and tried it again. It drifts and is bent.

Thanks,
bk