Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Thrift shop find >

Thrift shop find

Thrift shop find

Old 09-02-2023, 05:40 PM

Default Thrift shop find

Hello Quilters, a friend of mine brought me 25 blocks she found at a thrift shop for four dollars! The blocks were not square, not even either.(see first picture of block) Angie wanted me to put the blocks together and quilt it. I told her I was sure I wouldn’t be able to get the block pieces to align as they were about 19 inches one way and 20 the other. I trimmed them all to 19 inches. My biggest ruler was 25 inches to I had to use my 6x24 in ruler with it. This is the finish and doesn’t look too awful for a $4 find. I picked up backing at Hobby Lobby for $30. Size I’d 90 inch square after quilting. Thanks to you members here on QB we found out the block is called Mexican Star. Last picture is my set up when I quilt. My LA table is side by side with an six foot folding table. Both of them are then butted up to my nine foot dining table. Works for me-lol
Attached Thumbnails img_9203.jpeg   img_9223.jpeg   img_9221.jpeg   img_9220.jpeg  
Old 09-03-2023, 01:41 AM

Every quilt tells a story. You did an amazing job resizing all the blocks. I'm curious as to what your friend said when she saw how the quilt top turned out.

You are so funny describing your long arm set up. What machine do you have shown in your photo? It looks like it has a nice throat space,
Old 09-03-2023, 03:50 AM

That's a really nice quilt! You did a great job as always.
Old 09-03-2023, 03:55 AM

Great rescue and nicely done. But it does makes me wonder why the blocks were made 19 x 20 to start with. Did you loose many of the points?
Old 09-03-2023, 04:03 AM

And Toogie for the WIN! Very nice work and you rescued set of blocks that needed a home.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:31 AM

Wonderful quilt. You did an excellent job of getting those pulled together. Turned out great.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:32 AM

How clever and beautiful.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:35 AM

I'm sure many of us would have given up with all the different size blocks. Great rescue.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:32 AM

I find some of the coolest of finds at thrift stores. It's an adventure to see what you can find.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Every quilt tells a story. You did an amazing job resizing all the blocks. I'm curious as to what your friend said when she saw how the quilt top turned out.

You are so funny describing your long arm set up. What machine do you have shown in your photo? It looks like it has a nice throat space,
Here is my machine. It has 18 inch throat space that allows me to quilt as big of a quilt as I want. I bought it used from a lady a few states away. She had her papers when she bought it brand new. She let me try it out and so we were there 2 hours. She explained oiling and such and then of course showed me her brand new programmed machine. The one I have you have to guide the quilt around and make your own designs, either free hand or ruler. Since I usually make mostly bed size quilts I do my meander or stipple, but I have used a ruler to make a grid on a 60x80 ish quilt that came out really pretty. It’s in my albums here. The Sunflower quilt for my granddaughter. I’ve had my machine since 2019 and so much better than trying to quilt on my regular machine with a normal throat space. I did quilt 2 queens on a regular machine, before getting this one and believe me, it was possible but not easy!

ps. The friend doesn’t know I have it done. She just bright it Thursday morning so I may wait a while before another visit-lol
Attached Thumbnails img_9234.jpeg   img_9233.jpeg  

Last edited by toogie; 09-03-2023 at 07:18 AM.