Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
A death and an oppertunity >

A death and an oppertunity

A death and an oppertunity

Old 09-05-2023, 08:36 PM

Default A death and an oppertunity

Hi All,

I am, as my avatar suggest, the son of a quilter - Anne Foeman (Kalcevic).

Unfortunately, she died last Sunday.

While I enjoyed the occasional quilt (1), I couldn't be more impressed with my mom's long career at making hundreds of quilts - giving them to all her friends and selling the bulk to a select few who kept her fully busy up to about a year ago.

Here are a couple of them that are hanging up around her house here in Atlanta:

Wait, you guys don't host your own photos - in order for me to upload pictures, I have to use a hosting service?!? Please tell me that's not the case and I simply can't find the correct button for placing an image.

Let me know so I can post some images and get on with why I'm here.

Thanks - Patrick
Old 09-05-2023, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome, Patrick. Very sorry you have so recently lost your mother. No, you don't need a picture hosting service here. But the process is rather counter-intuitive, and your pics have to be pretty small to upload. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain the process to you. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Hello and welcome, Patrick. Very sorry you have so recently lost your mother. No, you don't need a picture hosting service here. But the process is rather counter-intuitive, and your pics have to be pretty small to upload. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain the process to you. Good luck.
Thank you and thanks, I'll stand by.

- Patrick
Old 09-06-2023, 03:34 AM

Patrick,
I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. What a wonderful tribute to her to post photos of her passion. I look forward to seeing them. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post a pic yet so I cannot help with that issue. Just know you haven't lost your mom, you carry her with you where ever you go. You are a piece of her heart.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:06 AM

Another so sorry for the loss of your mother and a warm welcome.

Posting pictures here is a bit convoluted but once you get the hang of it and your particular set up, it is doable.

One of our administrators has a pretty good PDF in the help section:
Including Images and Attachments (as of 24 Jan 2020)

Some people who post from phones have settings and things they have to do.

Poster Ourworkbench has a nice concise explanation of the process, here is one copy of that:
Id help

I've never been able to get the paperclip icon to work myself, I think it has to do with my browser protections. I go into the "Go Advanced" tab -- but I'm using and old school digital camera and one thing I know is my initial file size is way too large and I have to reduce the file size. Not the picture itself, it comes as a thumbnail you have to click on to enlarge,but the file size. You can load several images per post that add up to somewhere close to 5 MB,but each picture seems to have a 2 MB limit. I use this free, fast and easy website to download the photos on my computer so I can upload them on site.
https://www.reduceimages.com/
Old 09-06-2023, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltersSon View Post
...I am, as my avatar suggest, the son of a quilter - Anne Foeman (Kalcevic)...
Sorry for your loss. I cannot find a user by that name on Quilting Board.
Originally Posted by QuiltersSon View Post
...Wait, you guys don't host your own photos - in order for me to upload pictures, I have to use a hosting service?!? Please tell me that's not the case and I simply can't find the correct button for placing an image....
This is rather long, but put the simple instructions at the end.
We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button. As shown at Standard Sewing Machine Co. Paragon

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply -
  • Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
  • Click on red "Reply" button
  • Click on the paper clip icon
  • Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
  • Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
  • After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Some additional notes -
The photos generally need to be reduced to less than 2MB in size. I have heard of people sending an email to themselves as it will ask if you want to reduce the size.

I have an android phone and when I tried to reply on Quilting Board while in mobile view None of the options for adding pictures was available. However, there is an option down at the bottom left of the page that is for Full Site when I tapped on "Full Site" It then looked like the way it looks on my lap top. So it would have the Red Reply and the Go Advanced options.

Do Not Preview post.

ETA - I've added some notes to the instructions that Iceblossom linked to.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-06-2023 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:35 AM

Thanks for your wonderful instructions OurWorkBench -- I haven't been posting pictures since my moving hiatus and recent return to the boards. Has it been fixed yet where the attachment windows are still in the old board format? I see you have bolded the part about scroll over to the right side -- that is a tricky one, there you think you have everything done but nothing happens...

Another thing to watch for is timing out, being wordy I often take longer to write my posts than the board allows so have learned to copy the text before I post reply.

Again, Quiltersson, my sympathy on the loss of your mother. I hope it is not too frustrating for you at this difficult time to figure out the pictures.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
...Another thing to watch for is timing out, being wordy I often take longer to write my posts than the board allows so have learned to copy the text before I post reply....
That used to happen to me a lot. Now when I sign in, I click on the "Remember Me" check box. Sometimes if it timed out and haven't closed that tab, when I signed back in there was a 'link' at the bottom left corner of the message box that would allow you click on it to something to the wording "Restore stored or saved reply" I don't remember the correct wording.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:56 AM

Thanks All for the kind condolences and all the help with posting images.

BUT, I don't have a paperclip button - usually called Attachment button right next to the Smiley Face.

I'm guessing, your mods might have a restriction on that till a person has posted X amount of posts - does that sound right to anybody?

If so, any idea how many 'hello's' I need to send before I can attach a photo to a reply?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2023, 06:05 AM

Oh, wait, I see, you have to hit Reply REGARDLESS of your intention, hitting Reply is the key to seeing the paper clip (Attachment button).

So, you can't attached an image for anything but an original reply to the thread. I'll try that...