Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
National Sew A Jellyroll Day >

National Sew A Jellyroll Day

National Sew A Jellyroll Day

Old 09-16-2023, 06:12 AM

Default National Sew A Jellyroll Day

Apparently it's National sew a jellyroll day. Who knew these days existed, but we all need an extra excuse to sew, don't we? Are you working on anything that has jellyrolls in it? I am working on a scrappy log cabin quilt made with 2.5" strips, so I reckon that counts! Happy sewing!
Old 09-16-2023, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

How funny that there is a day for this! I have many jelly rolls sitting on the shelf that need to be sewn up. What's your favorite pattern? I love Strip Twist (Bonnie Hunter) for jelly rolls.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:49 PM

I bartered a bunch of family vintage quilt tops this spring, and a couple of jelly rolls were part of what I chose, but I don't know if I'll ever use them, I hate those pinked edges. Ilike starched fabric cut with precision. I thought I'd use them for sample blocks, but every time I've gotten them out, euuuu, pinked edges, no precision In this area I think I Am a luddite. I expect I'll donate them one of these days.
Old 09-16-2023, 05:39 PM

I don't buy many pre cuts but I do have a special jellyroll that I'm going to make MSQC Checkered Dresden with one day. I love that pattern! For quilt jellyroll quilts, I like log cabins. I'll have to look at Bonnie Hunter's Strip Twister. I generally cut my own 2.5" strips.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:26 PM

TerriblyRad posted a video this morning of a Villa Rosa pattern "Maze". Looked good!
Old 09-17-2023, 01:55 AM

I have never purchased a jelly roll. Sometimes I think of getting a solid color jelly roll to have handy for adding sashing or a border.
Is there anyone else that has never purchased/used a Jelly Roll?
Old 09-17-2023, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I don't buy many pre cuts but I do have a special jellyroll that I'm going to make MSQC Checkered Dresden with one day. I love that pattern! For quilt jellyroll quilts, I like log cabins. I'll have to look at Bonnie Hunter's Strip Twister. I generally cut my own 2.5" strips.
Thanks! I just watched the Checkered Dresden with Jenny and this will be perfect with my Kansas Troubles Maple Hill Jelly Roll, a nice fall design.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:28 AM

I have never purchased a jelly roll. I am super picky about my fabric choices, and I don't want someone else's random selection. I cut my own 2.5" strips.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:40 AM

I bought 2 on sale during the Labor Day holiday, they are Moda Brand and were only $15.00 each. I like to have them for when I need a quick project. I just look through my patterns and whip up a quilt quickly.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:58 AM

Well, I just spent my flexible Sunday morning before getting ready for church time wandering quilt patterns. Tee-Hee-Hee! I think the Bonnie Hunter quilt would visually drive me a little batty, but might try in a single color way rather than scrappy. The MSQC pattern attracts me or is it the colors that are so rich and blend so well? I also have a special jelly roll from the Downton Abbey line of fabrics that I have been keeping for something unique. The Checkered Dresden might work for that. Who knows? I will pass on the Maze.

Thank you all for some new ideas for using my jelly rolls. I have just a few and would like to use them up but use them well with something interesting. Your ideas fill the bill.