Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias >

Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias

Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias

Old 09-19-2023, 04:07 AM

Default Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias

Do you prefer to bind your quilts using binding strips cut on the straight of the grain or on the bias? Is one better than the other? I've always done the continuous bias binding method, but it's extra work and I'm wondering if it's worth it.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:22 AM

I cut mine across the grain (width of fabric), not lengthwise. Cross-grain has a bit of stretch unlike the straight of grain. is that the best of 2 worlds?
Old 09-19-2023, 04:52 AM

I mostly bind my quilts straight of grain.. However, if I had a quilt with curvy edging, I would make binding strips on the bias.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:44 AM

I even use regular binding on slight curves with no problem. Recently had to have bias for a quilt and hated putting it on. I solved that by never making that quilt again!
Old 09-19-2023, 05:57 AM

I've always read to use the bias cut if you're doing any sort of curves. Otherwise I cut straight across the grain as it's easier for me.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I almost never make bias binding. The only time is a curved border,which I rarely make although I love the look of one.
When joining strips I do that part on the bias though. It's less bulky.
NZ- so good to "see" you again!
Old 09-19-2023, 06:11 AM

I always cut my binding straight on the width of the fabric, the only exception is when doing scalloped borders, then I use the bias cut binding.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:23 AM

First off, I think with modern high quality fabric it probably doesn't matter much. However, I almost always use a french double fold cut on bias binding. For years I used straight of grain but decided I flouted enough of the quilt police rules and could learn to do a proper "competition" binding with good mitered edges etc. some 10-20 or so years ago. But I typically make mine quite a bit wider than 1/4" finished as I am generally making some sort of statement by my fabric choice -- for example I love using stripes in my binding and cut on bias I love the way they zip around the top and I want them to show. I'm prolific enough that I'm pretty fast on making the bias and don't need to refresh myself on directions.

One thing I've learned from others on this board is I no longer press the bindings in half the long way. I just fold it as I put it on and am very happy with the results. I will typically make my bindings at the starting/cutting phase of the project, that is before I've pieced any of the block parts. I grab a piece of cardboard and wrap it around until I'm ready --- 18" long often bends but is a quick and easy way to count how many yards I have, one round being a yard and it still fits in my fabric bins.

It is really all on a project by project basis -- there are times when I just want a small narrow binding that disappears/the same fabric as the borders. Or, the piece of fabric I have might lend itself better to long grain or cross grain.

I feel that since I wash my quilts rather frequently that experience has shown the bias holds up better and the fold and hard edge of straight grain ends up breaking up sooner. I've had to rebind some quilts... for that I typically use just a single layer of fabric to help hold things together and may do some decorative stitching on/through the binding to help hold it together. For quilts that get washed less maybe not so much an issue.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:31 AM

I only do bias binding when necessary for curved edges or with stripes where it is a design detail. I use crosswise or lengthwise. It depends on how much binding fabric I have. If I can cut the binding in on continuous strip by doing it lengthwise, I do. I've never needed the bit of stretch that cross grain has. In fact sometimes I have better luck with lengthwise cuts because they don't have an give.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:01 AM

I used to make all my quilts with bias binding. But once I began using straight of grain I liked it better, it was easier, and now I do them all that way.