Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias >

Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias

Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias

Old 09-19-2023, 07:04 AM

I very rarely do bias binding because I don't do much with curves. I will cut the WOF and diagonally piece the strips together. Sometimes if I am using the same fabric as the backing, I will just wait until I have it quilted on my longarm and then make the binding out of the backing trimmings.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Do you prefer to bind your quilts using binding strips cut on the straight of the grain or on the bias? Is one better than the other? I've always done the continuous bias binding method, but it's extra work and I'm wondering if it's worth it.
The only scenario where bias binding is "better" than straight grain binding is when you are binding anything with curves. Bias will stretch and ease around those curves much cleaner than straight grain binding.

Old 09-19-2023, 11:51 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

I always make a continuous bias binding. I am under the impression that it wears better than a straight cut. Could be showing my age but that is how I learned and I am used to it.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:00 PM

I always bind my quilts with the straight grain of fabric. I've never encountered a problem doing it that way.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:42 PM

I have only done bias binding, as it seems obvious to me that it will stand up to wear better. Rubbing along a fold that exposes a single or just a few threads to repeated stress (straight grain) is going to wear through more quickly than rubbing against a bias fold, which consists of many threads; you would have to wear through each thread individually. We were given a quilt about 40 years ago that has been consistently used for supplemental warmth, and it's in good shape except for the straight grain of the top edge, which is completely worn through. (On the other hand, it may be that practically speaking, most quilts won't be used enough to wear through either type of binding.)
Old 09-20-2023, 02:49 AM

Neither. I fold back the top 1.25" and trim the batting and backing, Then I use that extension for the binding. If that is not possible, cross grain cut, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails 8.jpg  
Old 09-20-2023, 04:02 AM

I prefer using bias binding. Why? That is the way I was taught by a master quilter. Over time bias is still my preferred binding, but if it means another trip to the store for my fabric, forget it! I will use straight of grain binding. Most of my quilts are for donation and although I want them to look nice, I do not fuss about the style of binding. If I have the amount of fabric needed to cut bias, I do it. If not, I will use what is at hand. I know my quilt group quietly snickers at me when I cut bias, but I return the favor when they are making 2" four-patches.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:29 AM

I love the look of a striped binding cut on the bias. No that I do them very often, but the look is the best, in my opinion.

bkay
Old 09-20-2023, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I love the look of a striped binding cut on the bias. No that I do them very often, but the look is the best, in my opinion.

bkay
I love that look, too. You can get fabric that achieves that look with a straight grain.

Speaking of bindings, I've been making a lot of pieced bindings and love them. I like using leftover fabric from the quilt that may otherwise go to waste and it's a cute look.
Old 09-20-2023, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Most of the very old and very valuable quilts in museums have straight of grain single fold binding if any. A lot of them have the backing turned over for binding on the front. The binding still look pretty good, no more worn then the rest of the quilt. That is about the only olden way I will still do, make straight fold binding or sometime turn the backing to be a binding. My grands play quilts have the backing turned over and they are washed frequently. That edges look fine, not frayed or worn.