Mystery Leaf

Old 09-19-2023, 11:29 AM

Default Mystery Leaf

Does anyone recognize this leaf?

I bought this bare-root plant from Costco a couple of years ago. The first year the lawn guys weed wacked it all year. I got new lawn guys this year, and it has finally been allowed to grow.

It is supposed to be a lilac bush, but I haven't seen a lilac with this kind of leaf before. The largest leaf is about 4" x 6," and it is crinkly.
Attached Thumbnails mystery-leaf.jpg  
Old 09-19-2023, 12:17 PM

exactly crinkly was my thought too. someone will pop in with the answer soon I'm sure.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:44 PM

Lilacs typically grow rather slowly and even if grafted onto root stock, it is generally a smoother leaved plant.

I tried a google image search and it suggested kratom -- while appearances are similar I very seriously doubt costco would be selling or that it would survive winter!

I'm wondering if whatever it is, it was mislabeled, or perhaps an opportunistic plant managed to get safely into growable and protected soil. Do you have any alder species near you? Or perhaps beech?? The leaves seem darker green than alder and more textured, I don't have experience with beech trees but some of the leaf pictures were close.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Lilacs typically grow rather slowly and even if grafted onto root stock, it is generally a smoother leaved plant.

I tried a google image search and it suggested kratom -- while appearances are similar I very seriously doubt costco would be selling or that it would survive winter!

I'm wondering if whatever it is, it was mislabeled, or perhaps an opportunistic plant managed to get safely into growable and protected soil. Do you have any alder species near you? Or perhaps beech?? The leaves seem darker green than alder and more textured, I don't have experience with beech trees but some of the leaf pictures were close.
I’m sure that this plant is the bare-root plant that came out of the package from Costco. I don’t think it is a lilac.
Old 09-19-2023, 01:07 PM

crinkled with smooth edges. so far can't find a photo to match.
recently someone on here took a screen shot or what ever and posted it online and found an answer that way. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:31 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

I took your picture and used Plantnet ( free app for plant identification) , it came back as American Pokeweed.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:27 PM

Oh goodness, smart people.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:06 AM

Looks like my hydrangea leaves. Lilac leaves are smooth.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:25 AM

screenshot_20230920-061420.pngscreenshot_20230920-061754.png
My Google search came back as a big daddy hydrangea. When I saw your picture, my thoughts were hydrangea. Google lense is a wonderful feature. I use it often for fabric. The picture on the right is the big daddy hydrangea. It will be interesting to see what it does grow.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:09 AM

Take your photo to a local plant nursery or garden shop and ask them. On the other hand, you may already have your answer.