Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend 10/5-10/9/23 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend 10/5-10/9/23

Virtual Quilting Weekend 10/5-10/9/23

Old 10-08-2023, 04:26 AM

I'm chugging away on my pixel quilt. It's starting to look like a starfish! Oranges and yellows with a greenish batik background. It is sharing the design wall with my ongoing color-wash quilt project.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:00 AM

Finished one side of binding and will finish the final side this evening. Managed to get another 6 blocks pieced, debating if I want to make this project King size 12x12 or leave it at 8x10, that would be an additional 64 blocks……hmmmmmm 🤔.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:41 AM

I made a lot of progress yesterday. Sewed and pressed the strips to the 120 triangles on one side, and have cut pieces for the other side. I'm a pinner and didn't have quite enough pins to do all 120 triangles -- or I actually do but didn't want to open the new pack just yet. Anyway, have about 3/4ths of them pinned and ready to go. Will do that after some computer time and another cup of coffee...

They have a local tradition in this area of the first two weekends of October being a big garage sale time. We did go out some yesterday but got a late start. We were going to go out this morning but hubby tweaked his back a bit and he is currently in bed with a heating pad. Hopefully this is just a minor tweak.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:14 AM

WMUTeach--how is the Christmas cross quilt coming along?
Quiltmom2--good luck!
Iceblossom--did you find any good deals at the yad sales?
rryder--how was the quilt show?
Lena1952--that technique sounds interesting and i have lots of scraps.
aashley333--your starfish sounds cool

I finished prepping a project for Wednesday. I'm going to a friend's house to quilt with her Wednesday and we're going to make Glazed Donuts by Jaybird Quilts. I was just about to head upstairs and work in my sewing room putting some stuff away but a cat is laying on my lap!
Old 10-08-2023, 11:08 AM

Heather that is a great reason to stay sitting at the computer, fur babies must come before cleaning. I got a fair amount cleaned last night in the glass room, today I tackle the sewing room.

Looks like everyone is having a productive weekend!
Old 10-08-2023, 01:40 PM

I've only gotten two rows sewn today - drat I had hoped for more. The weather was perfect and the Hubs wanted to do some ethnobotanical studies so we packed bottles of water and some trail mix and off we went for most of the day. I certainly didn't mind the hike. Lower Delaware is flat so the hiking was easy and the day was great! We even saw two very young grey squirrels with their heads sticking out of a tree hole. So young they don't know what to be afraid of. This is a Community quilt so it gets done when it gets done.

Sounds like everyone is getting at least a bit accomplished this weekend. Iceblossom has your hubby tried ice? I have back issues and have always used heat but my doctor said to try ice and it really helped.

The weekend isn't over yet so keep on sewing every one.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:26 PM

Well, I didn't get back to my sewing room today. Two of the cats took turns laying on my lap and I was talking on the phone half the afternoon . Good thing tomorrow is another day! My main goal was to get the prep work done for Glazed Donuts so I accomplished my goal.

Will check back in later.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:31 PM

Default Ta Da Finished!

The Christmas Cross Quilt is finished! Quilting, binding, label and I snipped all the little tails of thread. I did a simple straight line diagonal quilting except for the red crosses. They have a wide meandering that I did free hand. The back of the quilt pleases me with the almost lacy appearing crosses or "X's" on the white on white backing..

My goal was to diminish my stash of 2.5 in squares of Christmas/winter fabrics. Some how word got out in a volunteer group I am part of that I "wanted" Christmas scraps. Not so, but I turned them in to 2.5 Inch squares. Please don't count, but there are 877 in this quilt. Total fabric from my stash and out the door is just short of 6 yards total.

A successful VQW for me. One goal and one goal met. No more quilting for me tonight. I will use some time this evening to prep and pack for my retreat this coming Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I have enjoyed your projects, challenges and stories this week end. See you all in a month.
Attached Thumbnails 20231008_163850-1-reduced-2.jpg   20231008_162439-1-resized.jpg  
Old 10-08-2023, 03:09 PM

I got some of the quilting done on a daisy quilt. Good thing we still have tomorrow. Maybe I can get this one done and ready for binding
Old 10-08-2023, 03:56 PM

Still working on the Nascar quilt for our grandson. DH spent most of yesterday tweaking the racing flags to be used as a quilting design, so glad he is able to digitize! The quilt is loaded and 3 rows of designs have been quilted, each row takes over an hour to complete.Hoping to finish the quilting tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the digitized flags on scrap fabric. They went through several changes because they looked like waffles to me!
Attached Thumbnails img_0361.jpg