Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QuiltCon Classes - Supplies to Bring >

QuiltCon Classes - Supplies to Bring

QuiltCon Classes - Supplies to Bring

Old 10-17-2023, 11:07 AM

Question QuiltCon Classes - Supplies to Bring

I am attending Quiltcon in February, and this is the first time I've signed up for classes. Aside from the materials list that the instructor provides, what should I bring with me? The website says the machines are provided, but says nothing about scissors/rotary cutters, cutting mats, rulers, thread, etc. And if I'm flying in using a carry on, will a rotary cutter make it past TSA?
Old 10-17-2023, 02:05 PM

I just looked at their website a schedule which IMHO leaves a lot to be desired. I'd bring basic sewing supplies. I have no idea if scissors or rotary cutters will get past TSA. You may have to pick them up there. Houston Quilt Festival has a Festival Store where you can buy things you don't have but need. I guess you'd have to contact them about that.

I read thru some of the class requirements. A couple said there would be shared rotary cutters and scissors for your use.. Personally I'd want my own so I didn't spend all my class time waiting.

https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-t...ou-carry-plane
This article says no to rotary cutters, but it's not a TSA website

Last edited by cashs_mom; 10-17-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:17 AM

I too am attending Quiltcon in February, it is my first time attending. I too am flying in for the show. I did not sign up for any classes for this exact reason. I am flying with only a carry on also and didn't think any of my sewing tools would make it past TSA. I signed up for lectures only. I will be interested in following this thread to read what others who have flown to quilt shows and taken classes what their experience has been.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:22 AM

TSA has softened up some of their rules -- but rotary cutters are not allowed in carry on luggage.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...sewing-needles

If you are staying at a motel, check with them first but you can typically mail/fed ex a package to be held until your check in. With the extra expense of that both directions, you might decide to check your luggage instead.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:41 AM

I’ve never been to a quiltcon. Is it mostly classes or do they have other things too?
Old 10-18-2023, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
I’ve never been to a quiltcon. Is it mostly classes or do they have other things too?
They have an exhibition of quilts, some by a featured artist, and others that are part of that year's theme and winners of judging contests. There's a vendor hall with seller demoing products (and of course selling them) and there are lectures and other demonstrations as well. I found that I only needed 1 day there if I wasn't taking any classes if that helps you at all.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
I too am attending Quiltcon in February, it is my first time attending. I too am flying in for the show. I did not sign up for any classes for this exact reason. I am flying with only a carry on also and didn't think any of my sewing tools would make it past TSA. I signed up for lectures only. I will be interested in following this thread to read what others who have flown to quilt shows and taken classes what their experience has been.
I'm still deciding if I'm going to drive or fly, it ends up being the same cost either way, and only slightly longer to drive but with way less rules and way more space. I"m leaning drive, so I can shop more Thanks for the input.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I just looked at their website a schedule which IMHO leaves a lot to be desired. I'd bring basic sewing supplies. I have no idea if scissors or rotary cutters will get past TSA. You may have to pick them up there. Houston Quilt Festival has a Festival Store where you can buy things you don't have but need. I guess you'd have to contact them about that.

I read thru some of the class requirements. A couple said there would be shared rotary cutters and scissors for your use.. Personally I'd want my own so I didn't spend all my class time waiting.

https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-t...ou-carry-plane
This article says no to rotary cutters, but it's not a TSA website
Thanks for the input. I agree that the website is lacking; that's where I went first and didn't get my questions answered. There should be a suggestion box somewhere. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a better idea for me to drive, just so I can bring whatever I want and don't have to buy things for one time use when I get there.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:00 PM

Iceblossom,
Great idea! I had to have some new strobes for Underwater Photography mailed and would be in a hotel. Worked great!
K
Old 10-20-2023, 05:02 PM

I think I would bring my Rotary Cutter handle and buy a blade or mail one to the hotel.
K