Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-09-2024, 05:59 AM

Thank you, Teen, and Macybaby. Your photos help to visualize the size I want to make. Twin/throw but long. It's hard when sewing diagonals. I think I have it down thanks to y'all. I made all the blocks but not the corrections. I will probably end up with a twin and a baby blanket.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:51 AM

I am still slowly working away on the project. I have all the partial block setting units done. The full blocks seem to be going faster but they are still in progress. Maybe I'll get them all done today -- but the goal is to have the strips done for each block (it's an easy goal). My overall goal is to have the top fully pieced by Valentine's day with end of January (or sooner) being entirely reasonable. Even once the blocks are done there is putting them together and working on the borders so still quite a bit ahead of me.

One of the things I really like about Cranky Bernie is the automatic thread cutter, especially for partial seam projects. I know some people feel their machines cut too short or too long, but Bernie is just right

We are sort of on the edge of most of these current winter storms, did get 3-6 inches yesterday and word is that we will be hit on Friday again -- and then single digit temperatures, so it will be sticking for awhile. We are quite impressed with the area snow plowing, even our residential street is being plowed once-twice per day. We can get out and about if we want but for now we are watching the snow fall and glad we have groceries on hand. I think we may venture out today to get a few extra fresh supplies and lottery tickets.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:41 PM

Storm with tornado warnings went through yesterday. Today-gorgeous.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:43 PM

finally finished clue 3!! Now to go back and sew clue 2.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:46 AM

Julie1 -- so glad to see that even with your difficulties you've come back to the project. A big pat on the back and a "you go!" You went through a really rough patch and got to the other side.

I did achieve my small goal yesterday, sort of anyway -- did the pressing today. All the strips have been put together, still have to form them into blocks. I had a hard time with that first round of Triangle in a Square (clue 2). A couple of the blocks are really off, especially with one set of backgrounds. I must have made a pretty severe cutting mistake (ruler slip on the triangle compounded by short skinny triangles??) which didn't get better over time. Don't know why I didn't just trash them, but they are now in the quilt and will stay since their overall measurement is correct. Also, as I mentioned before some of them tilt one direction or the other -- so glad that I didn't have to meet the points either with the square in a square unit (Clue 5) or with each other.

Am looking forward to my first layout once all the blocks are done. True, it is red white and blue, but with my selection of fabrics I'm not getting a super patriotic feeling from it. Maybe the busy neutrals help that?? If I had used plain white or white on white some of my "neutrals" could have certainly been used as light blues, one of those "if I knew then" sort of things.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:26 AM

I'm hoping to finish up clue 2 today as I continue paper piecing clue 3. I found an interesting, well-written mystery to listen to, which makes the time fly by. We're expecting some nasty weather tomorrow, but today is a beautiful day.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:51 AM

Progress! Woke up super early (4 AM) and have finished piecing my alternate blocks. Still have to press about half but time for a coffee break.

Hubby still asleep, he is cuddled up with the dogs that went out for a bio break in the latest snowfall,we are expecting maybe 3" today and maybe some rain midday but cold temperatures again at night. I am really impressed with the snow road crews, no plowing in my residential neighborhood but the sanding truck went up and down the road around 6:00.

After he wakes up, I'll lay out the blocks on the bed and get a picture.

I am also listening to my latest audio book I had asked for book recommendations in another thread and the Arliss Cutter books by Marc Cameron were suggested. This one is book 4 of the series, "Cold Snap". So far this one is mostly set around Anchorage in areas I know well. The author has also taken over writing of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books -- which is on our not started binge tv list. Good thing, we are almost done with the available Bosch/Bosch Legacy stories.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:31 AM

First look -- hubby out of bed

This is small and not final, laid out on queen sized bed. I am aware that one of the bottom blocks on the group A block layout is the wrong way. For those looking at a smaller than the full project (keep in mind that seams will take up several inches) this was 24 of Block 1, 15 of Block 2, 16 sides, and of course the 4 corners. Obviously as well the borders will make it larger again, not sure on the measurements/number of blocks for that.
Attached Thumbnails indigo-small.jpg   indigo-layout-bottom-wrong-1-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2024, 11:05 AM

I like that - and I really like how it looks laid out on the grey, with it looking like all grey triangles for the border. I think I like that better than what I ended up with.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:05 PM

Iceblossom, it looks beautiful!