Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patent patterns >

Patent patterns

Patent patterns

Old 11-25-2023, 10:33 AM

Default Patent patterns

On QB was a picture of a quilt. I liked it. Thought to self, “I can figure that out”. So I did-figure it out. As it’s shaping up and revealing the design, I’m thinking, “this pattern is amazing, took some planning. Wonder if it’s a published pattern……with a patent?”

Then the resurrected thread about Yellow Brick Road makes a storm with criticism.

I’m feeling more than a little bit guilty for having copied the picture. Now, don’t know where the picture was posted, who posted it, name of pattern. It has a secondary pattern due to sashing. Really quite nice. I think someone needs recognition for the pattern. And maybe $$$ for the pattern.

what do you think? If it’s a patented pattern, should I post a picture?

Here’s a few hints. Hope someone recognizes this.
my block is made with 2 inch base measurement. The block measures 20 inches. If the base measurement was 1.5” the block would be 15”. If the base was 1 inch, the block would be 10”. The pictured quilt was scrappy blue/green. Value was very important to design.
the secondary pattern incorporates the sashing and outside border of each block to make a diamond, between each adjacent 2 blocks.

Last edited by petthefabric; 11-25-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:51 AM

Not a lawyer but have spent quite a bit of time trying to understand copyrights (especially since I worked in the creative department of an Advertising Agency early in my career. Some people might disagree, but the primary issue is not "personal use" but whether you are commercially using (including teaching) copies.

I think the purely legal is that if you can draw it, you can make it for personal use. Just like you can buy a book about settings and use those ideas however you want. Or, "public domain" designs like (traditional) log cabins or 9-patches. You can copyright the directions but not the block itself.

I can draft up any design, but if I'm outright copying someone's work, I go ahead and buy the pattern. I use the Hazel Hedgehog pattern of an example where I've both drawn it out myself and bought the pattern. There is nothing new original in my abilities to draft patterns. There is a lot original in Elizabeth Hartman's design.

When I show quilts, I do list an "inspired by" if I was indeed inspired by someone else's work. Just like I would list a pattern (or kit).

Old 11-25-2023, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

If it's a geometric pattern - the odds are high that the designer was "inspired" by someone else's work.

My "criteria/conscience" is sort of guided by "how familiar is this pattern? " "How hard did I have to work to figure it out?"
If it is mostly "familiar" blocks - there are all sorts of books available on how to mix and match them. Then my guilt level is low.

If it is something like intricate paper piecing, then I would probably just buy the pattern - if I could easily find it.

However, if the pattern is out of print or not available, my guilt level is close to zero.

I have often wondered how much royalty money Jane A. Stickle's descendants/relatives got from the Dear Jane book and spin-offs. - or donated to the museum. (As far as I know, none!)

So how many current quilting/pattern books have been based on quilts already made?

Old 11-25-2023, 11:52 AM

We see things all the time that we use in life. We design. Can't be helped. All the pattern designers ask is that no one makes and sells quilts or what ever that they have a patent on. I think patterns fall into this category. but yes, we tend to make what we see. Artists do that, metal workers do, etc.
and please don't bite my head off for my post. I never mean to belittle anyone, anywhere.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

"I’m feeling more than a little bit guilty for having copied the picture. Now, don’t know where the picture was posted, who posted it, name of pattern. It has a secondary pattern due to sashing. Really quite nice. I think someone needs recognition for the pattern. And maybe $$$ for the pattern.

what do you think? If it’s a patented pattern, should I post a picture?"

Pet, the only part of a written pattern that can be copyrighted is the COPY, i.e., the words. Not the design itself.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:47 PM

img_0236.jpegHere it is. Tallest ladder..
Old 11-26-2023, 03:47 AM

Your quilt is downright Magical. Beautiful.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:47 AM

Pet, you are correct. Color placement is important. What a lovely quilt you created to dazzle our eyes.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:53 AM

those are all standard patchwork units, nothing new there. And as sewbizgirl said, it is the copy, the instructions, that are copyrighted. You did very well!

It might be by doug leko, the potting shed.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 11-26-2023 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:57 AM

To me, patterns that have the pressing directions are well worth the price!