Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch Length? >

Stitch Length?

Stitch Length?

Old 12-03-2023, 06:06 AM

Default Stitch Length?

As I view the many beautiful quilting designs online I marvel at the stitch lengths I see. Tell me how many stitches per inch you prefer and if there is variance dependent on patterns, please explain how you decide? I feel very unconfident when I choose a length to set my stitch regulator for machine quilting. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2023, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I use the number 2 setting. I select that size because it is the size my machine prefers quilting with a walking foot. Doesn't matter what I prefer. LOL I have little to none tension and thread problems using that that setting when machine quilting. For free motion quilting it is 0 setting and the slowest sewing speed setting with size 90/14 topstitch needle using 40 wt poly thread in bobbin and top. I seldom have thread or tension issues.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:39 AM

Afraid I don't have any good rules to follow. I usually fiddle around with scraps of border fabric, batting, and backing until I am satisfied with the look and tension. Obviously a design with a lot of tight turns works better with a smaller stitch and you can use a larger stitch on something like clamshells.

I typically sew with a tiny stitch and needle, but when I quilt I bump up both the needle and the stitch size. I usually quilt with a 14 needle of some sort and depending on what I am doing/the fabric/batting I am using, will go up from there.

Another variable is your batting. I typically use a fluffier poly batt with (a lot) less quilting than is currently popular. Is much different using Warm and Natural or something like that or thinner.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:53 AM

I rarely change my stitch length, unless I'm zig-zagging. I'm self taught, and just do what seems to be working for me. My BFF quilts, and I drive her crazy, in that she'll ask 'what length, or what tension' and I tell her I don't know. Sometimes what I don't know won't confuse me!
Old 12-03-2023, 12:08 PM

I usually hand quilt. My stitch length depends on the thickness of the batting. I like 1/8" to 1/4" stitches. I've seen gorgeous hand quilted quilts with teeny tiny stitches. That's out of my league! I quilt for my pleasure, not competition. When I first started quilting, my stitches were all weird. Over time, I found a stitching "rhythm" that was comfortable for me. With machine quilting on my home sewing machine, I like the number 3 stitch length...whatever that length is on my machine.

I think quilting is a personal endeavor and whatever you do and like, is the perfect stitch length.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

It would depend if you were quilting with walking foot , FMQ on domestic machine or a long arm. With FMQ on my domestic machine, the rate that I move the quilt sandwich will determine the stitch length.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:08 PM

I just finished a couple of quilts with straight line stitching, and used 11 stitches per inch. With more curvy designs, I'd go up to 13 maybe, but rarely go any higher. With micro-stippling, maybe up to 15 or 16.

In a Judy Madsen class (who does a lot of straight lines in her designs), I asked her what she used and she said 16. I just don't like the looks of that (with my machine -- HandiQuilter) for straight lines.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:26 PM

I use a walking foot and follow what was in Fons &Porter’s older book. It was some number of stitches per inch (6-11?) and it ended up being a 3 when I worked it out.

I use a smaller size to piece, the size dependent on the project and how the seams will be pressed.

huge,
charlotte
Old 12-03-2023, 03:33 PM
Gay

I generally use 10spi, whether on a domestic or a quilting machine. It's much easier to unpick mistakes. The exception is if I'm sewing small strips and cutting sections from that, say for a 4 or 9 patch, I will go up to 14-16. It helps to stop the edges falling apart after cutting. I find nothing worse than trying to unsew those very tiny stitches.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:12 PM

I prefer to set my HQ at 11 or 12.