Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This quilt needs borders >

This quilt needs borders

This quilt needs borders

Old 12-26-2023, 04:48 AM

Default This quilt needs borders

I completed the pattern for the blocks to the seahorse pixel, but obviously it needs borders. I'm thinking 4 more inches on the sides, and 2 more inches at top and bottom. Looking for input. It measures 41 by 93 inches.
Attached Thumbnails seahorse-wo-borders.jpg  
Old 12-26-2023, 05:06 AM

Wow! Your seahorse is beautiful!
Old 12-26-2023, 05:15 AM

Yes, I agree. It needs borders, and I also agree, it's a beautiful "quilt".
bkay
Old 12-26-2023, 05:17 AM

The seahorse is stunning! Is it going to be a wall hanging? If it is perhaps you can measure the space where you want to hang it and go from there. Then determine the size of the borders to make sure it fits in the space and get the look you want.
Old 12-26-2023, 05:24 AM

After looking at the photo again, I believe I would use one of the light colors to make an "inner" border to sort of "end" the the animal's nose and other parts. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that using a darker border will look like his nose is against a wall. I would "try out" a beige (or other light color) as an inner border (even 1 inch finished) and one of the blues as an outer border.

bkay
Old 12-26-2023, 05:36 AM

I have to agree with bkay. A narrow background coloured border would emphasize the outline of the seahorse. It a lovely quilt. Will you be hanging it?
Old 12-26-2023, 06:01 AM

I agree - it's a great top! I think a first light border would be good. If you want more, maybe a curved shape border or if you want it larger, snail's trail or storm at sea block.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:31 AM

It's quilt tall already ... You might consider only adding to the sides, and leave the top and bottom as they are. You could do something that looks like seaweed growing, either by piecing something, or doing it in the quilting of the side panels
Old 12-26-2023, 06:34 AM

I'm thinking that another set of background blocks entirely around to center up the sea horse and then next to that a thin border of the dark blue, then a thin border of the light blue, and then a thin border of the dark burgundy, followed by the background color (darkest one) as the binding. I don't know if that will make it two big/wide/long for what you want it for, but perhaps if it is, a lap quilt instead of a wall hanging since it is already so long for a wall hanging.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:35 AM

If you have anymore of the colored squares, why not make a neutral sashing of the same width, then conbined all your leftover colored squares for another sashing (I know that's tedious) and then add a 1.5 or 2 inch border of the neutral color last. Uses up any leftovers and will add the width and length you want. Maybe a bit more length than you mentioned though. Another thought if you don't have as many of the colored blocks leftover, alternate them with the neutral color.......every other one and so on.