Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Specialty rulers >

Specialty rulers

Specialty rulers

Old 12-26-2023, 01:40 PM

Default Specialty rulers

First off, Hi everyone! It has been a very long time since I have posted anything here on the Board. This is probably a dumb question, but it has to do with copyright. If I buy a specialty ruler from someone and I have made up my own patterns with this ruler and none of what I have thought up is on their website where they have their patterns available to buy, can I make my own patterns and sell them?
Old 12-26-2023, 01:44 PM

Yes. Copyright applies to your work product, which would be the written directions, drawings, and photos of your original design.

If anything, I would think the ruler designer would be happy that someone else is creating an item that will help her ruler sell.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

A ruler is a tool. You wouldn't think to not sell a house you built using a hammer you just bought.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

If you want your pattern to have a wider audience, consider including alternative instructions that don't use any specialty rulers. I for one will not usually buy a pattern if I also have to buy another ruler.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:47 AM

I agree with Dunster, I would not buy a pattern that I would need to buy an expensive specialty ruler to make the quilt. I saw a pattern that I loved, then found out the ruler was $50, nope not for me.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

The designers of speciality rulers boast about the rulers buying their house, paying for new studios, etc. Many do and will buy a speciality ruler if the marketing is good and many are pushing for the sale.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:53 AM

I think there is a market especially for people who already bought the rulers and then don't use them. Always good to have new projects and review the ways to use the rulers.