Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retreat eligiblity question - need advice please >

Retreat eligiblity question - need advice please

Retreat eligiblity question - need advice please

Old 01-13-2024, 01:56 AM

Question Retreat eligiblity question - need advice please

We are a smallish guild that holds a retreat once a year. We are limited in the number of spots due to the location where we have the retreat. The location/facility is perfect in every way so we are not very willing to go to another venue. We have more members than spots at the retreat which usually works out okay as not everyone attends. In the past couple of years we have had quilters join the guild just so they can go to the retreat. They don't participate in meetings or any other guild activities during the year. Have other guilds experienced this? We hate to exclude anyone but want our regular attenders to be able to go to retreat. Any advice appreciated.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:49 AM

Offer tickets to the retreats to guild members first and formost, then any additional spots left unclaimed can be offered to the public. Those who are not members can then see and experience what a guild does and maybe make new friendships and want to join.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:51 AM

Our guild has By-Laws (rules) that govern our membership. The President and the Guild Board (Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary will add new by-laws as time goes on and also re-evaluate the old by-laws to remove them if they aren't relevant to the guild to date. If your guild has by-laws, I suggest you meet and make an amendment to your by-laws to add a section regarding your quilt retreat attendance. For example: Active members will have first choice in attending the quilt retreat. An Active member is someone who supports the guild through attending meetings and/or participates in guild charity projects.

If you don't have by-laws, then a member or President can make a motion to be voted on by members at a meeting. Those members in attendance can vote on the motion to be approved...All in favor raise your hand. Motion approved or denied.

Old 01-13-2024, 05:01 AM

I think that happens a lot, I have a friend who joined a guild just to go to the retreats. I think the guild should require attendance at a specified amount of meetings and participate in the guild charity projects.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:48 AM

I agree with copycat that you should by-laws that govern your guild and inact language relating to retreat attendance. The active members have priority in signing up and then any spots left are available for those who are not active.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:20 AM

My quilting group has about 40 members. We do retreat sign-up at the monthly meetings. Any open spots are mentioned at the meetings and offered to friends or family of someone registered for the retreat. We have not had to limit our number of attendees since pre-Covid. I agree with active members first and others later.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Our guild has By-Laws (rules) that govern our membership. The President and the Guild Board (Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary will add new by-laws as time goes on and also re-evaluate the old by-laws to remove them if they aren't relevant to the guild to date. If your guild has by-laws, I suggest you meet and make an amendment to your by-laws to add a section regarding your quilt retreat attendance. For example: Active members will have first choice in attending the quilt retreat. An Active member is someone who supports the guild through attending meetings and/or participates in guild charity projects.

If you don't have by-laws, then a member or President can make a motion to be voted on by members at a meeting. Those members in attendance can vote on the motion to be approved...All in favor raise your hand. Motion approved or denied.
We do have by-laws, this is a great idea, thankyou.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

We have retreat in person sign up at guild meeting. The members in attendance get the first chance to sign up. A small deposit is made at time of sign up to secure the spot. Anyone who fills out a form but does not pay the deposit goes on the waiting list until deposit is paid. A little note in the newsletter will say registration for retreat will be available at meeting. A deposit will be needed to secure your spot. The non active retreat members rarely make it to a meeting to sign up. Most said oh I didn't read the newsletter.
We learned not take pre registration Or the put my name on the list for the next one.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:15 AM

I think the ideas listed should work. Yes I think members should be first. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:48 AM

I was in a guild that had a point system for active members. You got points by going to meetings, donations, teaching classes/running projects, work parties, working the yearly show, etc. Then you could spend your points (auction style) for highly desired retreats or classes. Newer/less active members might feel left out, but the more active people might spend like 20 points (and clear out their total) to make sure they got into the retreat, while other people may be able to get in with only 3 points. I think it is a good idea to have limited number of possible points, sort of like work vacation use it or lose it policies.

Of course, this would require a change in by-laws, reminders, and someone to assign point values and keep track. We had a spreadsheet that was viewable by all and listed names and points. Once set up, it wasn't too bad to maintain, we had sign in sheets at the official point scoring events.