Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Sewing room flooring >

Sewing room flooring

Sewing room flooring

Old 01-28-2024, 12:22 PM

Question Sewing room flooring

I'm ready to replace an obsolete carpet in my guest room/sewing room. I have a rolling (heavy) sewing cart, and a rolling sewing chair, both relatively new and on plastic casters. Carpet saleslady said eventually vinyl and laminate flooring would show grooves or damage from the chair rolling in repeated patterns and she suggested commercial carpet - super low pile, up for heavy use, easily cleaned.

Does anyone have experience sewing in a room, or area, with very low pile carpet? Pros vs cons? Thanks for any information.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Long ago had some commercial carpet - very low pile - in our basement for over 30 years. Never showed any wear. Maybe like in a motrl entryway.

Had a rolling chair on it. I weighed 200 pounds.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

You can have the same wear problems with the chair rolling on the carpet as on the floor. (Ask me how I know!! ) Chair at a desk, and the commercial grade carpet was destroyed while the rest of the room still looked almost new. The good thing, it was not visible til you went to the back side of the desk. So only I saw it and could live with it.

You really need to consider all the pros/cons of carpet vs. all the other hard surface types of floors available today. What can be annoying to one person, does not bother another.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:16 PM

I have LVP in my entire house including my studio. I have been here 8 years and see no sign of grooves or wear in any area especially not my studio or my sewing table. Looks as new as the day it was installed.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:23 PM

I would go with good quality residential carpet, paired with one of those plastic chair mats and/or rollers instead of casters. The rollers made a huge difference for me. You can buy them on Amazon, I've also seen them at hardware and office supply stores. They look like roller blade wheels.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:27 PM

I had LVP in my prior sewing space with no issues, and plan to add it in my new sewing area in the next few years. I feel it's much easier to clean then carpet in a sewing space.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

I detest carpet so that wouldn't be an option for me. The rest of the house is hardwood which is perfect but for some reason the upstairs bonus room (my sewing room) is the marble tile, like all the bathrooms. I guess The builders thought it would make a great rec room for kids instead of a nice sewing room. I don't dare bring a breakable cup or glass to my sewing room. LOL
Old 01-28-2024, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

I think the carpet lady just wants to sell some carpet. I have a laminate (Pergo) in my sewing space and see no signs of wear on it after almost 9 years.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:37 AM

I have Pergo in my entire house, been there 8 years and I have no signs of wear from my chair or anything else. If you are concerned you can put down laminate or LVP and put an area rug over it. I love the Pergo, I have a swiffer in my room and it's so quick and easy to tidy up each day after I'm done sewing.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:02 AM

If you saw the dirt under your carpet when removed, you would never install carpet again! Lots of other choices. We built 3 years ago and went with painted/coated concrete with plans to upgrade later, but I like it!