Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Concept to Bleck ;) >

Concept to Bleck ;)

Concept to Bleck ;)

Old 01-30-2024, 08:08 AM

Default Concept to Bleck ;)

Oh my beautiful little stack of Morris fabrics... This looked like a fun idea sew along from Fat Quarter Shope, only theirs was in blue and I didn't have any, and I messed with nearly all of the blocks and changed the setting. (35"x35")
But by the time I got to the borders today I knew it was destined for the back of something that wouldn't get turned over.
I've never seen anything so dull and unexciting. And I'm not digging for compliments, the peicing is impecable even though I used 3 different machines and up close my fussy cutting etc is great good fun to look at.
I can only say I'm glad I had the discipline to finish it

Care to share some of your disappointments?
Attached Thumbnails morris-35x35.jpg  
Old 01-30-2024, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

What size are the blocks?

I do agree that the colors do not make me jump and down with excitement, but it would be easy to live with ( before everything gray ers)
Old 01-30-2024, 08:35 AM

Impeccable work. I think it depends on how you want to use the quilt. It isn’t showy and dazzling, but it is calming. If you don’t love it, someone else will.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I think it is a wonderful guilt and perfect for a man. Most men like earth colors. I started a log cabin using mostly brown/gold earth colors and It is boring to me but I can't say a failure so far but I wished I never started it.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:47 AM

Yeah that one doesn't call to me either, lol.
I think I've had 2 disappointments, both very early in my quilting journey. The first one was all plaids and I did NOT like the way it looked when it was done. Gave the top to a friend who quilts 30+ quilts a month for the pastoral program at one of our local hospitals. They give a quilt to every terminal patient. If you could read the thank-you notes from the families, that's what all of us would be doing with our quilts!

The second disappointment was because I had tried to exactly replicate a quilt from a book, but I had to use different fabrics. It didn't turn out the way I had envisioned, so I gave it to same friend to quilt for the pastoral program. She quilted it and brought it to show me. It was GORGEOUS. I was so mad at myself for giving it away. But what I learned from the experience: 1) Dissect the picture - is it the pattern I like, or is it the colors and fabrics? 2) Color relationships and placements inside the quilt are much more important than the fabric print. 3) Be patient with the process. If I'm not happy, set it aside for a while, quilt it, and it's possible I may fall in love all over again. I really wish I had a picture of that quilt.
Attached Thumbnails wpid-ugly-quilt-2-2010-05-10-17-52.jpg  
Old 01-30-2024, 09:03 AM

Thank you for showing your take on https://www.fatquartershop.com/4-inc...ee-pdf-pattern
There is another one done from that pattern in blue. Did you enlarge the pattern or just add borders?
Old 01-30-2024, 09:07 AM

Well, my sister would love your quilt. She is a very earth tones type person.

I have had many occasions where my final product was disappointingly different (and sometimes fantastically more) than my vision. I also pass on those 'small errors in judgement' to our guild's community quilts program. And I too, have been amazed at the quilted and bound 'silk purses' that have come from my 'pig's ears' donations.

I hope that I learn something from every top that I make. Even if I have a negative experience, it still contributes to my quilting journey.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:30 AM

yes WorkBench it was the Petit Four quilt along, I'd forgotten the name. It was just something to work on while we were traveling last year.
Bear, they were 4" blocks, 3.5" finished. It may grow on me but with my vision, the kaffe and poppy next to it is more my style now
Old 01-30-2024, 10:00 AM

well sorry but I think it is lovely. love your fabrics. make it reversible and you've won twice!!
Old 01-30-2024, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't call it a failure at all, and I like earth tones. And it always amazes me how a quilt can become even more beautiful once it's quilted. That said, I wonder how it would have looked with black sashing. More dramatic?