Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Camp quilts >

Camp quilts

Camp quilts

Old 02-17-2024, 08:11 AM

Default Camp quilts

Hello Quilters! At our last sewing group meeting, a few of the ladies asked about us providing quilts for an organization, in our area. It seems they do camps for foster children ages 6-12. They need about 30 quilts and suggested at least, size 52x72. They said around twin size. I’m thinking that 52x72 is like a large throw. I don’t know, I haven’t made a twin size before but maybe the camp beds are smaller.
Anyway, I really like loisf’s quilt she just made and want to try that, if not for these camp quilts, something else. I have some squares that was sent to me by Iceblossom that has juvenile prints. Not sure the size maybe 4 or 5 inch squares I may could make some pattern with. I am sure I can find enough in my stash for a girl but I need to make a boy quilt,too.
Any suggestions on what pattern to do for these children? I don’t wanna make just a cover for them. I’d like to make something pretty, too. I’m sure you all have made very pretty Childrens quilts before out of what you may have had on hand, so show me, please.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:01 AM

I make my twin sized bed quilts 60X80 as this is the size, my church quilting group makes for the charity quilts. This size is also what I used to put on my twin bed for covering it when my dog was up on it. It just barely covers the length of the bed but allows overdrop on the sides of the quilt. If you want to make it so the bottom could be tucked in and the top still reach the top edge of the mattress, you could add a about 10 more inches. I remember the beds at camp being about twin sized or maybe just a bit smaller but that was years ago. My reference book on quilt sizes says a comforter for a twin bed should be 63 X 87. Oh, and I think a simple pattern would be great. Even nine patches alternated with a plain block would be nice. Could be scrappy!

Last edited by sewingpup; 02-17-2024 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:17 AM

The Warm Wishes pattern is very versatile and you could use juvenile prints in the squares.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:26 PM

While looking up warm wishes I found this one. which looks nice and could use some scraps.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/wishi...-quilt-pattern
Old 02-17-2024, 01:14 PM

72" is a little short for a twin, but they might not have a proper bed quilt in mind. I always assume kid quilts are going to get carried around by the child, and so you want something small enough that they don't have to literally drag it. That might be what the camp people are considering in their size requests since the kids will be taking them home.

As for pattern recs, you can get a lot of punch out of some well contrasted half-square triangles. 4" squares set 13x18 would get you to 52"x72"

I also fall back on this Villa Rosa pattern pretty often. It uses fat quarters. You'd need one more row and a boarder to get to the right size, though, so it might be more work than you want.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:41 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I am sure I can find enough in my stash for a girl but I need to make a boy quilt,too.
Toogie,

I have some fat quarters with juvenile prints, including some with teddy bears playing baseball, that might be good for this project. They were sent to me in error and the FB marketplace seller wouldn't take them back or refund my money. PM me if you would like them for this project (I can send you photos). I am happy to send them to you at no cost whatsoever. I learned to longarm on charity quilts for foster children, so this project speaks to me.

Michelle
Old 02-17-2024, 06:02 PM

I would guess that the mattress size is a "cot", rather than a twin. (If I remember camp correctly, that is.)

bk
Old 02-18-2024, 04:36 AM

When I purchase fleece for a throw, I buy 2 yds (72 inches) which is good for tucking in at shoulders and feet for an adult..
I enjoy 9 patch piecing. Depending on the size of the design in the fabric, I'd think on the Friendship Star or Puss in the Corner. Both were very popular several years ago and will go together pretty fast. Nowadays the Pinwheel is pretty popular. Something as simple as blocks assembled maybe 3, 4 or 5 across and then repeated but move the next row over 1 so there is movement in the final flimsy.
I'd choose something that doesn't take a lot of time or accuracy. These are for kids and will most likely be "mistreated" unless the fabric is something the child likes. These will most likely be considered as blankets and not the works of art that we'd like them to be.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:06 AM

When I first started quilting (on my own wits), I would cut the fabric into 10" squares, and then rotate every other square to sew back together. Then quilt with SITD. Now, I am stenciling on it to see if I can quilt it after the fact! Will share outcome!
Attached Thumbnails before-pic.jpg