Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slotted ruler >

Slotted ruler

Slotted ruler

Old 04-12-2024, 05:22 PM

Default Slotted ruler

Hello all, I'm looking at slotted rulers to help with cutting straight strips. Do you use this? If so are there brands you would recommend, or any ones you stay away from? Thank you for any advice.
--Pam
Old 04-12-2024, 05:24 PM

The one I saw at joanns was Taylor shape cut plus.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:40 PM

I love mine. It’s a learning curve so give it a chance. I have a 12.5” and I like it. My friend has the next size bigger and I think I’d like that too. I think mine is Creative Grids (too comfortable in my chair to go downstairs & verify).
Old 04-13-2024, 12:13 AM

Stripology ruler by Gudrun Erla, GEDesigns. Made by creative grids.
It's the best and my go to ruler now.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:01 AM

I've used one for years and love it for when I'm cutting a lot of strips the same width. I started out with a small one which caused issues as you had to fold the fabric in 3rds to get it to fit highth wise. When the longer/taller one came on sale, I grabbed it as I had cracked my old one at the corner. Mine is by Creative Grid, it's 20 inches long and 14 inches tall. Still due to all the slits, it's more flimsy so need to be careful when picking it up and storing it.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I recommend the Stripology strip rulers. I use the Stripology Mini ruler and it's nice for shorter cuts. The Shape Cut ruler is not very sturdy. I have the Accuquilt Go strip dies and use those for cutting long strips.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:02 AM

I got the Stripology Rulers by Creative Grids, and I also got their cutting matt that was designed to make using their ruler easier. The Cutting matt is really nice but a bit pricey. I use these rulers when I cannot use my accuquilt as I do not have the dies. I used to use the June Taylor for years prior to this. There is a trick to using them and it takes a bit of practice to get your rotary cutter to work smoothly and you do need to make sure that you are not putting pressure on one side or you can distort the ruler slots enough to modify the size. I have found that using the 45mm cutter works better for me than the 60mm cutter. I also will use the extra large one to cut strips of various sizes from yardage. It works slick for that. It is I think even faster than using the GO to do this and you do not need to have a die for each size. GE Designs has several videos on their website on how to use the stripology rulers and matts as well as having many patterns that are designed using these rulers.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:18 PM

I have 2 Accuquilt strip dies that I use when cutting out binding for a quilt. I have the June Taylor strip cutter ruler for smaller jobs or wider jobs. I got the ruler because it was on clearance at Walmart one day. It looked interesting and was only $7.00. It only cuts 12 inches wide at 1/2 inch marks - so far I have not needed anything wider than 12 inches or anything cut in a 1/4 inch width. But I would suggest if you get one, buy the largest one you can afford, you have room to use comfortably, and store. It if's too big you won't get it out very often and if it is too small you will just use your 6x24 inch ruler.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:22 PM

Also, as a tip - when cutting multiple strips - I use those little sticky note arrows on the end so I don't lose track of where I am cutting. ie: 2.5 - 5 - 7.5 - 10. You can guess why I learned this helps.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by pamelor View Post
The one I saw at joanns was Taylor shape cut plus.
This is the brand I have - I have two different sizes and I like them very much. They get used regularly...