Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--April 19-21, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--April 19-21, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--April 19-21, 2024

Old 04-18-2024, 06:09 AM

Default Virtual Quilting Weekend--April 19-21, 2024

Good morning, I am starting the thread this morning since I plan to work in my sewing room much of the day and thought maybe some of you might want to join me. First on the agenda, is Clue #7 of my mystery quilt. Local shop is doing a mystery quilt, one of the shop's employees wrote the pattern and it is designed to use Studio 180 (Deb Tucker) tools. There are 9 clues and this one we start block assembly. The next clue comes out Tuesday so I want to be sure to have #7 done before #8 releases.

So what is everyone else working on?

Next VQW is May 10-12. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask on here or PM me.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:21 AM

Thanks for hosting and the early start!

I'm finishing up the blocks to quilt I'm calling "Tropical Eclipse: Eye Protection Required" made up of very bright, glaring even, tropical prints. The fabrics are largely textured, some are cotton light weight barkcloth -- others are blends with more of a crepe texture. It is sure hard to work with slippery fabrics after all these years of pure cottons. Anyway, it amuses me and will be a casual heavy use on the covered porch and dogs allowed and such... I'll get a picture of a block layout at least this VQW.

The other thing is I bought a used long arm last weekend (no robotics but set up for pantos and lots and lots of those and other extras included), several hours from home. Yay me, I've been wanting one for about 20+ years now but simply did not have the space or budget in the old house. Part of the move requirements was that I would have a room big enough and at least some budget for one. I had asked some questions about the frame and didn't get very good replies... it is a professional grade frame with electronic hydraulic lifts and heavy as all get out. My optimistic estimate of 2 hours for take down was more like 5-6?? and with the 3 hour drive each way, we left at 7:30 AM and got home at 9:00 PM. Hopefully we can start putting it back together this weekend.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:06 AM

I’m the Q grove.. will join in
Old 04-18-2024, 09:29 AM

Thanks for posting and motivating me to drag out my Merry Mayhem mystery to try and start quilting. It isn’t my favourite colours so have been putting it to the bottom of the list 🤪
Old 04-18-2024, 12:12 PM

I will be joining too, although I may not be able to sew each day over the weekend. Other things need to happen like walking the dog, mowing the lawn (it takes my hubby and I over two hours just to mow), etc. I have my quilt sandwich ready to go and Mabel set up for FMQ and really hope to get some of that done this weekend. Oh and I need to drag the cello out too. Have a Pops concert coming up in a couple of weeks and I need to practice for that.

Shari
Old 04-18-2024, 01:19 PM

Excited to see this-was hoping to see that there was a VQW this week. I just finished a "Japanese Rice Bag" for a gift and loved it so much I'm going to make myself one, using some indigo and Japanese fabrics I've been collecting for years. I'm also working on a PL quilt. went to the Lancaster/Lebanon Show (PA) this week and came back very inspired. Ill be posting pix at the end of the weekend.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:33 PM

Yep, i'm in.Making another string quilt. One top being glue basted so plan to get that basted and marked for quilting dtonight Goal, self imposded,is to have 15 done for PL in three weeks. Trying so hard to use up as much fab as possible, like so many of us...lol..
Old 04-18-2024, 01:37 PM

I'm glad to see there are a couple other early birds joining me! I finished the clue although I do need to trim the second part of the clue. Figured I better do that when I'm fresh! Now it's time to do some computer work and some housework.

Iceblossom--love the name of your quilt
Old 04-18-2024, 05:21 PM

Default Chinese Puzzle

Today AM went to quilting group. Thought I had all the pieces cut. Sewing this PM, realized cut some incorrectly. Slow process. Almost got blocks together. Block is “Chinese Puzzle” from “quilterscache.com”. Originally a 12” square of 14-3” squares. I redrafted it making a lot of bias seams. Definitely liking it.

img_0244.jpeg
other errors; ran out of white fabric and cut some pieces right side together=reversing pattern. So the design is evolving. I’m ok with that.

Last edited by petthefabric; 04-18-2024 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:53 PM

I wish I could be in, we have to go to the cabin this weekend to meet with the builder. If I'm back early enough on Sunday I will check in. I am going to try and bring some hand work with, but it's a speed run over on Friday back on Sunday. I have been working on putting all of my orphan blocks together into one large lap quilt. So if I can sew on Sunday that's what I will be working on.