Owners of new machines >

Owners of new machines

Owners of new machines

Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 AM

Janome Memory Craft 4900........like QuiltMania, love it love it love it
Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM

I got a new Brother 1500S
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM

I got a Janome DC4030--nothing fancy. Just wanted something that I could take to classes and retreats that was not so heavy. I tried a Janome Gem but did not like it (loved the weight). This one is heavier than the Gem but still lots lighter than my old Simplicity Quilters Classic and it has all the stiches that I will ever use.

Beverly
Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by BDor
I got a Janome DC4030--nothing fancy. Just wanted something that I could take to classes and retreats that was not so heavy. I tried a Janome Gem but did not like it (loved the weight). This one is heavier than the Gem but still lots lighter than my old Simplicity Quilters Classic and it has all the stiches that I will ever use.

Beverly
Beverly, I am curious what you didn't like about the Janome Jem? I have the Jem Platinum and take it to classes with me (have it in the car for class tonight LOL). The Jem is a really nice machine, IMO. I also have a Janome Memory Craft 9000 that I still love after having it over 10 years!

I looked at a Bernina Artista 155 last night. It's new in the box, but I suspect it has been hanging around the store for a couple of years. I'm thinking about buying it anyway because Bernina's seem to do so well with stippling.

This is a great thread. It's wonderful to see what new machines people got right around Christmas!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ladygen
Hubby got me the Singer Confidence Quilter - I know, so not up to the caliber so many of you are at, but it's WAY better than my $100 WalMart Singer!
Step by step, machine by machine, we all progress. I don't know how old your avatar is but it looks like you're a mother of at least one youngster. Thinking back to when I was your age, I was using my Pfaff Hobby machine. Not fancy, only 15 stitches but, then again, my skill level matched it. I still have that machine and love it just as much as when I bought it.

Your husband is very sweet to buy you a sewing machine! When you outgrow it, maybe your youngster will want it?!!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Originally Posted by BDor

Beverly
Beverly, I am curious what you didn't like about the Janome Jem? I have the Jem Platinum and take it to classes with me (have it in the car for class tonight LOL). The Jem is a really nice machine, IMO. I also have a Janome Memory Craft 9000 that I still love after having it over 10 years!

I looked at a Bernina Artista 155 last night. It's new in the box, but I suspect it has been hanging around the store for a couple of years. I'm thinking about buying it anyway because Bernina's seem to do so well with stippling.

This is a great thread. It's wonderful to see what new machines people got right around Christmas!

I though the one I got made a terrible noise when you started sewing, made a grinding noise, carried it back to have it checked and the man who checked it said that was just a normal noise. I brought it home but was still not happy, called
the store where I got it and talked with one of the sales ladies and she told me she thought the machine made a bad noise too. Told me to bring it back if I wasn't happy and get another machine. I guess I just got a bad one and did not want to try another jem.

Love the one I have now.

Beverly
Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by ladygen
Hubby got me the Singer Confidence Quilter - I know, so not up to the caliber so many of you are at, but it's WAY better than my $100 WalMart Singer!
Step by step, machine by machine, we all progress. I don't know how old your avatar is but it looks like you're a mother of at least one youngster. Thinking back to when I was your age, I was using my Pfaff Hobby machine. Not fancy, only 15 stitches but, then again, my skill level matched it. I still have that machine and love it just as much as when I bought it.

Your husband is very sweet to buy you a sewing machine! When you outgrow it, maybe your youngster will want it?!!
He might want it.. but it'll probably go to someone who will use it more immediately than he will - my avatar is just over a year old - my son was 1 in the picture, now he's 2 1/2. I have a feeling I'll outgrow it long before he wants a machine of his own! Yes, my husband is VERY sweet to buy me a machine, and I'm having so very much fun with it! It's even quiet enough to have a conversation over!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

I bought my daughter a Janome Magnolia 7330 w/walking foot and several other optional feet. I'm SO glad she's taking up sewing.... I wanted something she'd grow into and this was a good middle of the road for us. I am in GA and she is in NY, so bought it from a local quilt shop there where she can have help/service/etc.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 AM

I didn't get a new one, don't need a new one.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Administrator

i don't consider having purchased two high-end machines to be "progress". i just consider myself very lucky to have been able to indulge myself.

ANY machine that works is a good machine.

it's up to we humans to appreciate them for whatever they have to offer. ;-)