Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM

ok yeah I am confused, so when I sewed the half hexes together i did it wrong?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Star, it appears that they are sewn together correctly, individually they look great!!! I think something happened differently when you made the black hex's.

First I would measure the height of both of these hexs...it appears that the black ones are narrower/shorter than the rest. Verify that your original sets of strips were the same width/height

Next I would check your seam allowances on both.

Pressing/not pressing can make a difference too... If you don't press inbetween additions the hex's can shrink, just like if you don't press them open fully enough...

I think if you don't correct this problem now, it will cause you a lot of problems when you go to sew the strips to each other.... mine had minor variances and I have a little rippling going on...but with a variance like this, I am afraid that it will become a much bigger problem...

There really isn't a way to trim down your other hex's to match the black ones, without taking away the kaleidoscope effect... (((HUGS))) I wish that I could offer nicer news than ripping and fixing these.... :( :( :(
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by STAR
ok yeah I am confused, so when I sewed the half hexes together i did it wrong?
Don't know if you saw the pictures I put up for you, but here's my post:

Okay for some reason I couldn't get the photo rotated the right way in here, but if you start here you'll see what I mean about lining things up (just click on the next pics in my stream, there are 4).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2804638...n/photostream/

The first photo you can see the ear of the bottom triangle up to the left. If you line the top triangle to the edge of the triangle, you won't ling up when sewn.

The second picture shows how I am opening the seam up on the back so I can see the whole edge of the triangle, then I line up the top triangle with this. I hope this makes sense!

Rachel
If it's just a matter of lining things up then you should be good with a little ripit, but if you cut the strips the wrong size, then you may have a problem :(

Rachel
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM

:-( :-( :-( :-(
and I thought I was doing so good, well I should have guessed as it was going too well for me. I am definitely thinking that my cutting was just horrible, as this was my first time. I will have to measure like you said amma. this may just become another WIP for now as it is already bugging me :roll:

well Ladies I just loved all of yours and hope fully I will figure something out, Thanx for all the help
Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Yes Rachel thank you for the pictures, so you meant don't line the triangle with the ears at the end stop just before this?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Just think of how you lined the triangles up the first time, you used the whole side of the triangle. But now you have folded seam allowances, so to line up properly, you'll want to open the folded seam allowances temporarily so you can line up the triangles from corner to corner. Once the seam allowances go back in place, you may have little dog ears, but that is fine. I hope that makes sense. Just imagine each triangle without the seams folded back and line up the whole sides.

Rachel
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bailey
piedmont quilter - Your colors are gorgeous and so is your quilt top. Can't wait to see the top finished. Are you going to add a border?
Thinking about black and olive green to bring out the color in the leaves. May end with a bit of the original fabric - not sure about that yet!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Here are a couple of pictures showing how to line up the half hex's before sewing. This may help you out :D:D:D

The first picture shows the hexs right sides together and I have pins stuck in the 4 little triangle tips.

The second picture shows the hexs lined up, notice the little triangles on the upper left and right ends match up, where I have the pins stuck into them. The two tips in the center stick up, but don't match to anything.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-10847.jpe   attachment-10848.jpe  
Old 03-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by billswife99
I spent all day Sunday working on these cubes. I'm a slow learner. :roll: I finally wound up drawing my own pattern out and using that. It still isn't the skinny cubes I was looking for but they will have to do for now. The first one took about 6 hours, stop laughing, and the second one only took a half hour. I think I will try 3 or 4 more and then try some sashing too. The flash made the purple a bit bright.
I love your cubes!!! Good Job :D:D:D I can't wait to see more of them!!! :D:D:D:D
Old 03-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
Finally got around to laying out my blocks. Don't know if you can tell anything from the pictures (hope you can). Anyone see any changes I need to make? Not sure what I'm going to do about the boarder - thinking of black and olive green strips to pick up the green in some of the leaves.
Ooooo I love your quilt top!!! :D:D:D Very Pretty!!!! :D:D:D
The only blocks that caught my eye to move are the two with the golds in the bottom center of the picture...