Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing! >

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Amish quilters always make at least one mistake in their quilts on purpose because they believe that only God is perfect!

I have a good friend who is also a quilter. Many times we will show each other our finished product and ask the other if she can find the mistake (s). We are very honest with each other and 99% of the time we cannot find each others mistakes until they are pointed out.

I have learned to be less critical of the things I make- "finished IS better that perfect!" Sooo, go easy on yourself and keep on quilting.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 PM

I say only GOD is perfect......the little errors remind me that I AM HUMAN !
Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

handmade items are unique...no one item will be exactly the same...thats my story and I am sticking to it! :lol:
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM

By no means are you the only one. I just wonder where we all got the idea that everything we do has to be perfect?

Someone told me along time ago that the Amish quilters deliberately make a mistake in every quilt because only God is perfect.

One other friend who had won best of show the previous year (1995 or 1996) at the big Houston Festival had the "galloping horse" theory. If you pass by with the quilt on a galloping horse, and no one spots the error, it does not count.
Lucille
Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Connie, so many times I've heard "Oh, you're too much of
a perfectionist, that's good enough!" I respond to them "If you needed brain surgery would you want a perfectionist or a doctor who said, "Oh, that's good enough." We,quilters are just trying to do our best, right?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Merely another case of obsessive compulsive disorder. I think most of us have it, some worse than others.
I think the only cure is a trip to the fabric store, seems to take your mind off it. :D :D
Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 PM

I am the same way. I can see all the little imperfections in my quilts and what is worse......I point them out to whoever I am showing the quilt to.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 PM

I have been like that in the past about things. But when I took up quilting a couple of years ago, I promised myself to quilt with a joyful eye rather than a critical one. I think about how much I love this new found hobby and avoid thinking about its imperfections. I do this for no one but myself, even though others benefit from my efforts. All the better if they do. When I make a quilt for someone, I think about them and the love I feel for them. Maybe it sounds corny, but it works for me. I don't know when I've gone after a hobby with such joyful abandon.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:25 PM

I am the same as you all...point out all of my mistakes,
but I think I am going to live by this "better finished than perfect" rule...
There is quite a difference between a quilter and a brain surgeon...
Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 PM

I am not a perfectionist, wish I was sometimes, but I am particular. There is a diffrence right? Anyhoo, I decided that I love my quilts flaws and all and anyone who gets them will love them also. If they are perfect, people are afraid to use them, I want mine worn out and loved! A few months ago, I gave a lap quilt dnp to a dear friend for her birthday, a few weeks later I asked to borrow it to show our quilting group, as they wanted to see a dnp, she said "but I use it each night to curl up with" so I got to borrow and and took it right back so she can curl up with it. That quilt I know is loved :)