Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Northern Ontario >

Hello from Northern Ontario

Hello from Northern Ontario

Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 AM

Hi I am new to this board. I have been sewing for many years and last year took a beginner's class from Quilt University.com. It was very helpful and I am planning to take one on Attic Windows from that site this winter. Hope to meet a lot of people here who like to sew and get some valuable tips.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:50 AM

Hello from Pennsylvania. Quilt University.com is a great site. I've never taken any of the classes but I'm thinking about trying it. This is a great forum for information and just to meet nice people who are so willing to help each other.

Minda
Old 01-08-2007, 03:31 PM

Sunflower

I found out about quilt university, about a month ago. I took the free class and surfed around, Please give me your input. Because I'm seriusly thinking about taking some classes. Where you happy with the classes? Where your questions answered? Are you going to take some more classes? I thought the price's of the classes where very reasonable. Tell me what you liked and did'nt like, please.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Hi Becky,
I took the beginner quilting class from Quilt University.com in the autumn of 2005 because I didn't want to go to the local community college and have to work 3 straight hours for a class and use a sewing machine I was not familiar with. I really learned a lot. It was extremely thorough in the explanations, complete with illustrations, all of which could be printed out. If there was something I did not understand, the question was answered very quickly. The other students could make comments as well. Emphasis was put on accuracy in cutting and squaring off each segment of the patterns before sewing them together. We learned basics like half squared triangles, the friendship star, flying geese and lattice pattern. and borders. I made a single bed-sized quilt for my project. During the following winter I bought a Better Homes and Gardens 501 quilt blocks book off ebay and was able to make several pot holders in different block designs for Christmas gifts this year. The only thing I had problems with was choosing fabric. I don't think enough explanation was given but I have since learned how to do this. Currently I am signed up for a three week class on Attic Windows on Quilt University. It is a special type of wall hanging that looks like scenery through a window. If you have sewing experience and would like to get into quilting I would recommend the beginner class. You can do it in your own time on your own machine in your own home. Good Luck
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Thank you for your input on quiltuniversity. I've been wondering about them also. Your comments are most appreciated! :wink:
Old 01-09-2007, 01:55 AM

Sunflower,

Thanks so much, I've been quilting about 15 yrs. I'm mainly into applique's. I'm self taught, but I'm not what you call a traditional quilter. I like to play and explore, I like to push the enevolpe so to speak. I'll defintley take the beginner first, I want a firm foundation. But there are things I want to do that I'd rather get the pro's advice on before pursuing. My youngest son gave me the quilt university's web address. He researchers things for me. Is'nt he a sweetie. I really think this is the route for me. This ole dog loves new tricks. Thanks again for your time and input.