Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat >

Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat

Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat

Old 03-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

An update on Tom: he went home after two days in the animal hospital. He'll have to go back this week to have the one staple in his side removed; other than that, he's been on twice-a-day painkillers and once-a-day antibiotics. He's been drinking water, but not eating yet, though today he did take a few bites. He's a BIG boy, though, which the vet said probably helped, as his girth was added protection. For now, my husband and I have been taking turns driving out to my mother's to give Tom his meds. Tom spends his time behind the living room chairs, or under the dining room table, and Mom can't get down there to reach him. Hence our trips. His breathing is slower, which means his lungs must be healing; the ribs will heal on their own, the vet says, in time.

As to the situation with the neighbors, we're quite hopeful, at this point, that at least one of them will help with the vet bill (which came to $1150). That's neighbor B, the one who has lived across the street for 50 years. His wife has already been over to bring some groceries for Mom, and he has asked who he should make the check payable to. He also said that he'd talk to Neighbor C, the other dog owner, and we're hoping that between the two of them, that at least half of the bill will be covered, though no dollar amount has been mentioned. (Neighbor B did see the bill, though, so he knows what the total was.)

I think that Neighbor C is going to be difficult, though; Mom talked to him and his comment was "Well, cats are aggressive"... I don't know too many cats that would choose to get into it with black Labs. And Tom, for all his size, is rather a timid soul.

The town animal officer did come by to talk to Mom, and she now has his number, with instructions to call anytime she sees a black dog in her yard. Disturbingly, she did see Neighbor C's dog in her driveway again the day before yesterday. He has one patch of white, which is his distinguishing mark. I believe the animal officer told Mom that he would be talking to both dog owners, and I hope he does!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned

I would talk to the law there, but pretty sure the owner of the dogs not on a leash is the responsible for the bill. get your facts from the law first, and then talk to both owners about the bill. the dogs have to be on a leash. they can not run free for exactly that reason. If they don't pay for the bill then file a compliant with the police department and get your money back that way. but if both of them pay one third of the bill, because there can be a leash law for cats to, so your mom is responsible for one third too for the cat not being on a leash.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:40 PM

I am glad Tom is doing better.

Cats are aggressive!?! That is too funny! What a silly thing to say.

I have never lived in town. Things are different in the country.

I won't go into details, but if something is in my yard causing trouble that doesn't belong in my yard, it gets taken care of. I have kids, pet chickens, a pet turkey, outside ferrel cats that we feed, and house dogs. I will not let something get them if I can help it.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 PM

What's this about a cat leash law? I've never heard of such a thing! That just sounds ridiculous.
I'm not an animal owner (away from home too much of the time), but I enjoy the neighborhood kitty that sits on the a/c unit outside my window and watches over whatever I'm doing sitting in my recliner. Don't know who (s)he belongs to, but figure it's probably the older lady that lives the next street over...one time she told me she was feeding 13 cats that more or less called her house home. Said she'd never let a kitty go hungry.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
bkb

Thank you for the update. Sounds like Tom is doing better! Hope your mom is handling everything ok, I'm just glad it didn't make her sick! Furbabies are our babies and more so to an elderly person, I've seen a lot just give up when something has happen to their baby.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 PM
bkb

Please keep us informed with what happens.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 PM

I was so sad to hear of Toms injuries, but great news that he is feeling some better. :thumbup:

Our community is strange concerning leash laws. The only time a dog has to be on a leash or tied is from April 1st to October 1st. The rest of the time they can roam free. ??? Not sure other than april to october is when people don't want them ruining their flowers or gardens. I don't want someone elses dog or cat in my yard, ( and I have 3 dogs and a cat)!!!

I keep all mine tied or on leashes year round and kitty stays indoors. About 6 months after we moved here, one of my dogs was tied in our yard and the neighbor let their yellow lab loose. The lab put his head through our window screen trying to get our dog, tried to attack our dog in OUR garage, and finally attacked him while tied in OUR yard. Long story short, our vet would NOT accept payment from us for the expenses incurred caused by the lab. She actually billed the neighbors and then turned them in to the county for not having the lab properly vaccinated. (sp?) It caused a rift between neighbors, but no big loss since they moved away after they couldn't figure out how to control their dogs or kids!!! She actually asked how I got the dog to listen and stay in our yard!!! (that was about a year later when they finally started talking to us again)

I hope that the neighbors whose dogs did this to Tom take responsibility for Moms vet bill. In my opinion, kitty should be inside, but, seems like it is a dogs nature to chase a cat also. :thumbdown:
Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Thank you all for your concern about Tom... and the good advice you've given!

Mom says he had a little snack overnight, but he's still very lethargic. He has only one more dose of pain meds, so if he seems even less active after the final one, I'll be asking the vet for more.

My Mom also says that Neighbor B said he'd be bringing a check over later today... I wonder what portion of the bill that will pay.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mom-6
What's this about a cat leash law? I've never heard of such a thing! That just sounds ridiculous.
I'm not an animal owner (away from home too much of the time), but I enjoy the neighborhood kitty that sits on the a/c unit outside my window and watches over whatever I'm doing sitting in my recliner. Don't know who (s)he belongs to, but figure it's probably the older lady that lives the next street over...one time she told me she was feeding 13 cats that more or less called her house home. Said she'd never let a kitty go hungry.
There is leash laws for cats. We have one right here were we live.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

All four of my cats are declawed, all four paws and they are strictly inside cats. I would keep them inside anyway. I don't think they should be allowed to run loose. My 3 dogs have fenced yards and never ran loose. Works out better all the way around. Cats can have a better,safer life being kept inside.