Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Hand Quilters >

Question for Hand Quilters

Question for Hand Quilters

Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 PM

I was just wondering if any of you have trouble with the needle going through certain types of fabric. I just finished an all batik applique and I am trying to echo quilt around the rings. It is like quilting through 5 layers instead of 3 or worse. I have hand quilted for 27 years and never had this problem. It is definitely not the batting, although I started a while back using cotton instead of polyester. When I tried to needle the batik on its own, it is very dense. I can just get 2 stitches on my needle, usually I quilt about 10-12 to the inch, I have bent needles, I am determined to finish it. All the batiks are Hoffman and some are Mckenna Ryan. It is just wierd. I was really looking forward to hand quilting this, because it has no seams to quilt through. I thought this would go fast, boy was I wrong, it is taking me longer than any quilt I have ever done.

I have also tried 3 different brands of between needles.

I have had this problem before with some backing I bought from JoAnns, and some fabric that had metallic in the print,but never even thought I could have a problem with a hoffman.

I am not machine quilting this so don't even suggest it. :lol: :roll:
Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

I don't hand quilt. But I have heard batiks have a tighter weave that other fabrics.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM

I have only used batiks once, and that was when I made a schlep bag for my DD. I had to do just a little hand stitching on it and it was difficult. I checked with the LQS, and they said that the batiks were usually of a denser weave and could be more difficult to sew through. Which you found out already.

Everyone seems to like them, however. Perhaps someone with more experience with them could have a suggestion.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Yes, I've had the same problem as you and I thought it was just me! Now I don't feel so bad! Also had the problem with the metallic in the prints also, now I shy away from those fabrics. I know what you mean about not suggesting machine quilting. It'll take you longer and I can almost bet you won't use batiks again unless you don't hand quilt it.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:41 PM

Thanks, I actually had not heard that, but no wonder, I am having trouble. The top is all batiks and then I put a batik on the back. Yikes. At least I will know next time, to just use it in small amounts or only on one layer.

Dkabasketlady, I agree about avoiding the metallics, me too, and they don't hold up that well, anyway.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 PM

A very fine platinum needle might be helpful, they are easy to glide thru.

Joanns has them or here is a site. Worth a try.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...s_TD20754.html
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks, I will try them. I am off to a quilt show tomorrow. I will look while I am there, if not I will stop by JoAnn's.
Originally Posted by dakotamaid
A very fine platinum needle might be helpful, they are easy to glide thru.

Joanns has them or here is a site. Worth a try.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...s_TD20754.html
Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 PM

I have even heard that longarm quilters prefer not to have batiks on the front and the back for similar reasons, so it does make sense that you are having trouble. I will file this for the future! I keep one hand-stitched project going so I have hand work to do anytime. I'll try to remember--no batiks!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Gal

This is just a thought here and may or may not have anything to do with it as I cannot handle the fabric to feel what it like but I have actually made my own batik fabrics in the past from 100% cottons. What I found was that with all the resist work (using wax for this) and all the various dye baths and mordants, the fabric seemed to become more stiffer as each colour of dye was added. Even after all the wax was boiled out the fabric was no longer soft like the original plain white cotton, so I am wondering if it is perhaps just that kind of process?

Gal
Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I've never tried to hand quilt batiks myself but would imagine it's the tighter weave that's giving you trouble. I don't use the paste prints either, if I'm going to be handquilting - same as the metallics, hard to get the needle through.