Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sewing Extension Table >

Sewing Extension Table

Sewing Extension Table

Old 04-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Thank you so much for posting. I showed it to my DH and he is going to make one for me.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

very clever.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

that is just great. thank you for sharing. Penny
Old 04-04-2010, 03:48 AM

Great Job!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 AM

DH was looking over my shoulder yesterday when I was reading about you making your extension. He surprised me with a 3 x 3.5 foot plexi-glass extension for my machine. Sneaky fellow went off to get it while I was layering a quilt at the shop and presented it to me when I got home. :) Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Love it. How did you cut the acrylic? Did you get it at the big box stores.? Did you use a jigsaw?
Tell me, tell me pretty please. lol
Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM

The ingenuity of the female mind...it's great!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Great idea. And if you throw a string of wadded up white christmas tree lights underneath the plexi glass, you have an extra large light box too!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:49 AM

Wow! What a great idea and you did a great job with it. I do agree with someone's suggestion that you may want to round those corners if possible but if you can manage with it as it is, that's wonderful too. Enjoy!
Patty
Old 04-05-2010, 05:07 AM

Ok, I'm going to try to remember everyones questions but this may be more than one box to respond. :)

OVERLANDER: "DH was looking over my shoulder yesterday when I was reading about you making your extension. He surprised me with a 3 x 3.5 foot plexi-glass extension for my machine. Sneaky fellow went off to get it while I was layering a quilt at the shop and presented it to me when I got home. Thanks for the inspiration."

THAT is just way cool. :-)

LA RALEA: "Wow!! Very Impressive!! I too have been trying to figure out a way to make one and have a few ideas, but this is by far the very best one. I love that it is lightweight and portable, important criteria for me too. I'd be interested in knowing the total cost. It looks like the pvc pipe is fittings, correct? At Ikea a couple weeks ago, I found a 1" thick plank of table top wood in the discount room for 9.99. I just had to get it. It was 24 x 70 and hubby cut it down to 60", then today I bought foldup banquet table legs at Harbor Freight for 17.99. All I need now is the extension for the machine so I have level surface for quilting."

Yes, the pvc pieces are fittings. Um, I think they cost...geesh, I can't remember for sure - you have to find the ones that match the height of your machine, plus the thickness of the plexi. I believe they were a couple of dollars each....don't know if I still have the receipt but hubby might remember. The plexi - I bought 2 pieces and I want to say, they were between $10 and $15....each.

Someone asked about cutting the plexi. Have the person in the glass cutting dept cut it for you - its a much cleaner cut than doing it yourself. This plexi is very stiff (does NOT bend at all). With the glue, I'd say, I spent under $50. Or there abouts.

The plexi I got at a big box store - Lowes - in the department where they sell sheets of glass and plastic. Usually the cutting area has a section right next to it with sectioned off shelves. The plexi is right there.

With the corners, I figure I'll either sand them down if I run into trouble, or, I'll cover them with something - maybe batting, and then a fabric over that that is smooth so the quilt I'm working on doesn't get hung up on it. There is always an easy answer to everything. ;)

I hope I answered all the questions. I'll go back and check.

Thanks for the positive comments too. :-)

Martha in VA