Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my machine update >

my machine update

my machine update

Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
kpc

I took my machine in to be repaired a month ago,the guy at the shop told me it would have to be sent back to Brother to have a part replaced and that the repair would start at 400.00 and up without the cost of shipping that would be 75.00. My dear hubby went straight to the shop and picked up my machine,then he looked at the new machines, Isaid I want my machine not a new one. I went home found a Brother dealer an service center 75 miles from home ( I live out in the wild blue yonder). Hubby loaded up my machine and took it to a very nice lady, she replaced 4 parts in my machine, cleaned it,serviced it , and done some adjusting when she go it finished in1 day it only cost my 199.00 not like the first place that kept it 2 weeks. My machine has never ran so good. :XD: :XD:
Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 PM

It's good you got it fixed!

Which model of Brother is it?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
kpc

It's a ULT2001, I just love it ,had her for 9 year and she runs like new or even better now.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Good for you ! I took my Brother to the local service center and didn't have such good luck either :hunf: now have to find the repair tag and send it into Brother to get it fixed properly . Glad you kept looking :thumbup: And she is working better than ever :lol:
Old 04-03-2010, 08:10 PM

WooHoo! That is wonderful! I am so happy that it was much cheaper and you got it back so quickly. Enjoy!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:02 AM

I had the same problem with a Kemore machine I had a few years ago. I took it to the local Janome dealership who informed me that to repair the bobbin winder it would cost over $300. Suggested why don't you just buy a new machine. My husband picked up my machine and the following day we took it to another shop. Tom fixed my machine while I waited and charged me nothing. The machine is still going strong.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:26 AM

Good for you ; I guess it pays to get a second opinion.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 AM

That's great. I wish all repair people were that good. It is always good to get a second estimate and a reference!

My SIL and her friend had their machines repaired at the same time. They took it to the sewing center in Joann's which is NOT run by Joann's.

My SIL needed wiring done on her foot pedal as there were broken wires. The ended up shortening the wire, now it doesn't reach the floor.

Her friend's machine needed a good cleaning and general adjustments. When she picked it up they charged her $120.00. She never opened the machine up there, but when she got home she found her tension knob in pieces. Yes, that's right! They never even told her about it. The tension is way off an no way to fix it. She went back and all they would do is refund her repair bill. Now she is shopping for a new machine.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:46 AM
JJs
Banned

there's a lot to be said for the old mechanical machines! unless you beat them with a sledge hammer they just keep going as long as you clean and oil - and you don't worry about getting a drop of oil on the circuit board!

As a for instance, just the Singers I have that sew a gazillion stitches (with or without cams)..
401 (no cams), 306 and 319 (cams and special needles) (as for the special needles I bought enough to last my lifetime and my daughter's and grand-daughters')...

I have a Singer xl000 and a Brother 2003D - both fancy electronic embroidery machines - I think they are buried under quilting mess LOL

I wonder if some of the repair places are like some car repair places - they figure you'll keep coming back for more $$ repairs if they "help" it get disabled or they don't repair it correctly in the first place..
Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 AM

Don't you just hate when people try to overcharge you for parts & services????