Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Multiple types of needlework? >

Multiple types of needlework?

Multiple types of needlework?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 PM

How many of you specialize in quilting, and how many do other kinds of needlework too? Personally, I knit, crochet, cross-stitch, do plastic canvas needlepoint, and am learning some basic general sewing. I've also tried out polymer clay and bead/wire jewelry making.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

woo, seanette, I'm impressed.
I quilt, garment sew, toys and home dec, but other than cross stitch I'm not into a lot of needlework.
I bought a book for polymer clays and have never gotten around to it. I still want to do that.
We'd love to see pics of your stuff.
Maybe you'll inspire some of us to do more. woo hoo! :D
Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Well, you can see my bead jewelry at http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanette/ (apologies for the picture quality, I'm not a good photographer), along with a shelving unit DH and I collaborated on.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 PM

I love to work on Cross Stitch. Though I havn't done much since I went back to work almost 9 years ago!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM

I would like to do beads, but haven't yet. I do some knitting, like dish cloths and scarfs and hat, I sew, rnjoy making some cloths for the family, i love needlepoint, but can't do counted cross stitch. but right now my heart loves quuilting. I have a lot of quilts I want to do. I enjoy pencil drawing and I use to paint with oils. I do love to draw especially old gates, fences, houses, flowers, and little kids and animals like you see in the old golden books. I like to crochet, mainly same things that I knit. I have to have some type of handiwork. but I don't like to do routine housework. SMILE
Old 04-08-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm horrendously bad at drawing, painting, or the more free-form styles of embroidery (I pretty much need to be doing counted for that to work for me). I'm a competent cook, but not great at making myself get routine housework done (low boredom tolerance doesn't help).
Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 PM

I've done just about everything...crochet, tatting, knitting, embroidery, cross stitch, garment construction, general sewing, quilting, painting, scrapbooking....some better than others...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Before quilting I learned to do cross-stitch then counted cross-stitch. Then came needlepoint. Then got into tole painting. Even now I still do stamped cross-stitch quilt tops. Great topic! Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Besides quilting and other sewing projects I love to cross stitch, needle punch, rug hooking. When not in my sewing room I do stained glass and woodworking, simple country shelves, quilt racks and decorations.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 AM

I wonder if I specialize in anything.. I quilt because fabric is so beautiful. Its like making a painting but your using fabric as your tool. I watercolor paint, flower arranging, all sorts of craft making, embroidery, needlepoint (my mom taught me the needle work insisting we learned to make the back look as good as the front so we wouldnt embarass our husbands.. yipes like a man cares?), crochet, cooking absolutely. I can say I fail at oil painting and am only mediocre at acrylic painting. oh oh I know how to do half a dozen faux finishes to walls also. Hey thanks for the question.. I didnt realize how manythings I can do.. its easy to say all the stuff you can't.