Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Santa block swap ( signup closes July 15, 2010) >

Santa block swap ( signup closes July 15, 2010)

Santa block swap ( signup closes July 15, 2010)

Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 AM

I have never participated in a block swap but I think I would like to do this one. :)
Old 04-21-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
since i collect santas i have to do this one...a few years ago i participated in a santa block swap, all different sizes they were so wonderful!!! i made the quilt, it turned out so great...boy i loved that quilt...
my younger sister was working in a care facility and came to me with a request...she would trade me the quilt she had just made (her first/only quilt she's made) for the santa quilt...she wanted to give it to a resident for christmas who had no family, had not had a single visitor in over a year and way just a sweet little lady...i made the trade...
my sister wrapped up the quilt with nothing on it but to...and from santa...and put it under the tree.
christmas morning when said resident was sitting there watching every one open their gifts she was sure there would be no packages for her but that was ok...when 'santa' handed her the box she teared up and opened it excitedly...
she laughed, she cried, she new (said for 90 years she never quit believing) there really is a santa!!! she loved the quilt (boy i loved that quilt) and would not let it go to laundry or let it out of her site. when she wasn't in bed it was on her lap...she held that quilt tight for almost 2 years before she passed away...it covered her in her coffin...
i have no picture of the quilt...TAKE PICTURES PEOPLE...
but i fondly remember it...it was my first time putting together blocks that were different sizes, there were lots of firsts... but it wasn't meant to be mine...
so, long story i know, but i better do this swap and make my self a santa quilt.........
What a beautiful story! That was so sweet of you and your sister!
I am glad you have decided to join us! I think the different sizes would be really awesome also! It is like putting a giant puzzle together and so much fun!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Karen
Originally Posted by ckcowl
since i collect santas i have to do this one...a few years ago i participated in a santa block swap, all different sizes they were so wonderful!!! i made the quilt, it turned out so great...boy i loved that quilt...
my younger sister was working in a care facility and came to me with a request...she would trade me the quilt she had just made (her first/only quilt she's made) for the santa quilt...she wanted to give it to a resident for christmas who had no family, had not had a single visitor in over a year and way just a sweet little lady...i made the trade...
my sister wrapped up the quilt with nothing on it but to...and from santa...and put it under the tree.
christmas morning when said resident was sitting there watching every one open their gifts she was sure there would be no packages for her but that was ok...when 'santa' handed her the box she teared up and opened it excitedly...
she laughed, she cried, she new (said for 90 years she never quit believing) there really is a santa!!! she loved the quilt (boy i loved that quilt) and would not let it go to laundry or let it out of her site. when she wasn't in bed it was on her lap...she held that quilt tight for almost 2 years before she passed away...it covered her in her coffin...
i have no picture of the quilt...TAKE PICTURES PEOPLE...
but i fondly remember it...it was my first time putting together blocks that were different sizes, there were lots of firsts... but it wasn't meant to be mine...
so, long story i know, but i better do this swap and make my self a santa quilt.........
What a beautiful story! That was so sweet of you and your sister!
I am glad you have decided to join us! I think the different sizes would be really awesome also! It is like putting a giant puzzle together and so much fun!
Your story touched me, you are a very kind and special person. God Bless You!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Banned

Just a question for everyone. Would you like to make different size blocks instead of all 12 1/2 inch blocks. Let me know what you think. I think it would be fun. We talked about it in another swap and people were concerned how they would put them together ......
Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 AM

I would like to try my hand at odd sizes and shapes! What about if we decide say so many 12 - so many 6 - so many rectangles - 12 x 6 - sort of have a plan on paper before we start.....

Just a thought
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 AM

comment removed
Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 PM

What a memory you made for her! :thumbup:
Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by pvquilter
Just a question for everyone. Would you like to make different size blocks instead of all 12 1/2 inch blocks. Let me know what you think. I think it would be fun. We talked about it in another swap and people were concerned how they would put them together ......
PV different sizes are sooooo much fun! They are very addictive! I am doing the Funky Neighborhood Swap!! And did the Funky Chicken Swap! Just gotta make up your mind and stick to it! They are challenging to put together, but so really cute when they are finished.

For anyone wanting to get an idea of what can be done with varying blocks sizes check the Funky Neighborhood Swap! Athenagwis has posted some examples The 3rd down is my favorite and really shows how to put one together using odd size blocks!!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM

Count me in. I do like the idea of different size blocks, it always seems to add a touch of personality to the quilt. We could agree on blocks based on a multiple of the 12" size....such as 6x6, 4x4, 3x3, etc.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pvquilter
Please let me put my 2 cents in. A real easy way to lay out a quilt consisting of different sized blocks is to use the largest block as your guide, say a finished 12-inch and add background fabric to the other sizes to bring them up to 12-inches. This type of quilt is not a straight set but is very interesting as the blocks look tossed across the quilt. Belles