Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts! >

Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts!

Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM

I have done it all three ways -- purchased paper pieces, copied my own and cut them from paper, and bought the patis from the website in Columbus, Ohio. So much easier with the plastic patis -- no comparison. Give yourself a treat.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
this is the method I use and I have never had them go together wrong. I much prefer this to any other method.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Wow! I am in awe of quilters who make Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts - they are amazing, one of my favorites - but not going on my 'bucket list' to make :-)

Another thing I haven't tried - don't know if it will work - etc, etc: I have kept some of those flexible clear plastic boxes like ornaments or corsages come in - thought they might be easy enough to cut to make long lasting templates - anyone tried?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 PM

I traced the size hexes I needed and then took it to the print shop and had several sheets made. I used card stock as paper just doesn't hold up. Cut them out, placed in a plastic sandwich bag and put the cut out fabric in another sandwich bad. Then thread, thimble, small scissors and othe two plastic bags all went into a gallon bag. Goes with me everywhere. I almost have all my flowers done, now on to the leaves and path. It is the addictive project I have ever worked on. Relax, enjoy, and make a beautiful truly hand made quilt

Mrs. I
Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by granniebj
Ok...So I'm gonna start this quilt. Did alot of reading online and got some mix messages, such as the first 2 sites all recommended card stock for the middle....the next said card stock doesn't work. Guess its a preference thing. Have you made this quilt and do you have any advice? I'm doing it all by hand so that I can take it to my daughters to work on. I needed something that would travel well without the need for a machine.
~Bj~
I use a stamp for my grandmother's garden quilt. It came out nice. There is no tracing and the lines are very clear for hand piecing. I know others that have used it and loved it too. The stamp is made by Kate Ackley in TX. The product name is Stamps By Kate. The addy is http://www.bykate.com/.

Tea
Old 04-22-2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by billsgirl
Originally Posted by Crlyn
I have done this one in queen size by hand, and used copy paper......no problem doing it this way.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-32542-1.htm
It is to die for! I wouldn't let anyone sit on it, that's for sure! I have one question though. Did you applique those flowers onto a background or did you do the white in hexagons also?
Yes the white is hexagons as well. :-)
Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Table runner is beautiful, where did you get the pattern. I made a lot of these and don't know what to do with them.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 AM

The Christmas Square by your name. I love it. What pattern is it.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 AM

Hi Bj,

I made a queen size bed quilt using freezer paper 'patis'. After ironing onto the fabric and cutting with the seam allowance, I was able to put them in a small bag and carry them with me everywhere. It bacame so easy to stitch around the paper that I could do it as a passenger in the car at night, just by feel!
Best of luck with your quilt. I hope you enjoy making yours as much as I enjoyed making (and now sleeping under) mine. Viv
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM

I made my own quilt patties from plastic lids. It's a lot of work, but you couldn't buy them already made when I made mine. Works great.