Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting the grandmothers flower garden quilt, and surprise! >

Starting the grandmothers flower garden quilt, and surprise!

Starting the grandmothers flower garden quilt, and surprise!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM

I thought drawing and cutting out all those hexagons would drive me nuts! It's actually relaxing to do it while I watch tv! Of course finding the time is the most difficult! I don't know how some of you manage to get all that sewing done! I know some of you still have full time jobs. I must be the most unorganized person on earth!
I haven't decided how to put this quilt together! I discovered there are many ways and I thought this was a design that remained the same. Any ideas? Thx
Old 04-26-2010, 06:49 PM

google Grandmothers garden and go to the different sites to get ideas. I find this helps me decide on pattern. It does take a lot. This is one pattern that takes a lot of time. But it is worth it in the long run. Have fun with it.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM

I'm working on one now (it is my car work). I'm doing english paper piecing. I have the paper hexagons cut and I line one hex up on several pieces of fabric (can cut 5 layers easily with my sissors) pin in the middle of the paper thru all 5 layers, than cut around the hexagon leaving approx 1/4 inch. Then I unpin, center one hexagon on one piece of fabric, baste down my edges. It is now ready to sew to another hexagon that is also basted. I do no tracing of hexagons this way. I actually bought my hexagons online somewhere. Clear as mud??

Someone here does hers by just pinning and not basting but I tried that and it didn't work for me.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM

I too am working on a GFG. doing it much the same way as dakotamaid. There are so many ways to put it all together. Do a search on this board for GFG and also hex quits. I know there are quite a number of them pictured that will give you ideas. Good luck with you hex quilt. I print out the hex's and cut them out also. I am working on my 2nd GFG, and planning #3 in my head while I stitch!
http://hexagonquilt-along.blogspot.c...-progress.html try this site.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM

I'm doing a GFG in blue and yellow with 3/4" hexagons for the guest bedroom at our cottage. I agree that it is very relaxing. I print my hexagons on card stock and cut them out. I can use the same one several times-the card stock holds up well.

I have no idea exactly how I'll lay it out though. I'll have to get more done before I start laying them out to figure that out. ENJOY!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Someday I would like to make a GFG. :)
Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Power Poster

I have started one, it is scrappy, I am not sure how I will lay it out yet :D:D:D
Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM

I love to make hexagons but would go crazy if I had to actually cut them out! Go to:

http://www.paperpieces.com/

They have hexagons of many different sizes and are cheap. If you order, request one of their catalogs. It is full of ideas!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Power Poster

noticed on the secret quilt angel post sewjoyce has a pic of a wall hanging made with english pp hexagons a spring bouquet...check it out...it may give you some ideas :)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I love cutting out the pieces too! I sit and watch a movie, and just cut away! I am doing mine in 30's fabrics, my favorite, but havent put it together yet either!