Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
color issues >

color issues

color issues

Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 AM

i am doing a heritage medallion quilt and i am having color issues,,, anybody want to give me some advice.....please..............there is still more of the cut ones to do and to add to go around the medallion,, i just stopped because its bugging me

just doesn't make my eyes happy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]992[/ATTACH]

this is the total quilt,,sorry there is more to be done.. i just didnt want to move on until i figured out the colors a bit more
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1093[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-992.jpe   attachment-1093.jpe  
Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Well, just my opinion, but I think if you take the four corner sections and put them in where you have the other four sections once....try that once?? (Put them on the four sides of the center square)
Old 02-07-2008, 08:05 AM

I think your colors are beautiful. The only thing that might be bugging you is the middle is so white compared to the more cream and brown colors that you used in your other blocks. Since you can't change that, I might just use that same white to border around the whole thing. Just a very small border, no more than an inch or so. Otherwise, I think your quilt is wonderful.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:48 AM

It will be a beautiful quilt,I do agree with tricia though, I think you won't be happy with the white medallion, maybe add a tea dye instead of doing it over. Donna
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 AM

i think the tea dye is a great idea,,, might do a sq and see what the difference is.. thanks,,,
Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 AM

You realize you will get a different opinion from each of us that post a response!
I am finding the side bright blocks jarring. My first thought would be to continue the browns in those slots with much smaller pieces of the red and green. BUT, I continued to consider if those same colors are taken to the next round that would integrate them into the total design a bit more. SO, perhaps, you just need to continue and add more of those colors to make them seem like they do belong in this quilt.
I agree that the center is a bit white, hows about tea dying it to tone it down a tad?
Go ahead and put your blocks together, if you don't use them in this quilt I'm sure they'll fit into another. Have fun while you're playing and remember there is no right or wrong answer here. Do what pleases you!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 AM

i have more cut, i am going to put up my felt board and place and see what happens
then i will take another camera shot of it and see what my eyes see ... thanks everyone for your help,,,
thats why i love this board....
Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Well, I for one am anxious to see what you do with it! It will be a beauty I am sure once you get to that AHA moment with it!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:17 AM

Personally? I think the green blocks (the lighter ones) are throwing the entire quilt off... I'd try them in brown and off white or beige.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 AM

thats what it is for me too,,, looks xmasy instead of homey...i will play with that color as well..... thank you