Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 PM

No matter how large a group there is no excuse for poor manners. Cannot imagine anyone asking someone to move. There should always be room for everyone. Myself, I would probably write a letter to the group concerning the treatment received. In it the question of why this had happened would deffinately be included. Stick with us darlin' there is always room for everyone and we would miss you if you went away.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM

I, too, tried to join a guild!!! Even took classes and felt SOOO out of place that I didn't go back. Seems, in this small town, everyone but me was related or friends with someone else. That was all they did -- gossip about people I didn't know. I don't even go to the quilt shop near my home if I can help it -- only in GREAT emergency. I just don't like the atmosphere in there!!!!! I'm sorry they made you feel that way --- YOU are a better person...they aren't. :evil:
Old 05-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by cindygale
in the early 80's a friend invited me to join DAR (daughter's of American Revelotion). at the first meeting i was told i couldn't join cause i couldn't show lineage on my fathers side..cause i am illegiment..and the lady that told me that put her nose in the air and gave me a smerk...i felt like i was no good...wow i tell you i cried for a long time over that...many years have passed and have gotten over it but sometimes still think of it..someone once told me it's not how we got here it's what we do with our life...
don't feel left out, do your best and know you are helping others..that is the key...helping others.. :D
There are no illegitament(sp) children. God sent each of us to be loved and to love others. Thank God she isn't one of your relatives.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 PM

I, too have experienced feeling "left out," but like Betty K., I belong to the Van Alstyne, Texas Quilt Guild and if anyone there tried to be the quilt police, everyone would laugh.

My suggestion to you is "Gut it up," go back to the quilt guild where you found rude people and if they are rude again, ask them what their problem is.

And when new people come in, you be sure you welcome them with open arms.

My mother always said, "They might as well be mad as me." Take her advice and make them a little mad. They can't eat you and it might do them good.
froggyintexas
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 PM

I joined one a couple of years ago.they didn't want new members to enter any contests for awhile because they thought it was unfair that one of the new members might win a quilt or wallhanging that they didn't work on.BUT they were pushing membership! I never felt comfortable there and I was never sought out for friendship either. I introduced myself to everyone I could get ahold of so I wouldn't seem rude, but no one seemed to care about welcoming the new members. I never renewed my membership and I heard that the old president moved and there was another one, but I am afraid to step back into that kind of situation if things haven't changed.
Sorry to hear about your situation, tho. Mine wasn't as bad as yours, but it did make me realize that I don't need those kinds of people in my life, and I certainally didn't need the stress I felt at every meeting.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Quilt 4u, Just stay here on this board, Where else can you see beautiful quilts, get your questions answered, learn about new tools, and laugh your head off at the same time. Love you guys.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
Now I kinda feel out of place! I still have my first sewing machine,(and still use) a Brother with about 10 different stiches, and all quilting is done by hand. :cry: LOL
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that! The quilts I've done so far were machine quilted, but I have a couple of small projects that I plan on hand-quilting....and all we really need to piece quilts is a straight stitch... :thumbup:
Old 05-01-2010, 08:14 PM

you know, I wish we could all get together and have a good old fashioned quilting bee. I would really like that, but most of you live too far away from my house
Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
The only guild that is in our town has a bunch of old ladies in it. Their few quilts that I have seen are very traditional so I know I wouldn't fit in. I love seeing everyones work on here even though sometimes I just want to quit. But I won't it my therapy. cheaper than a shrink. :-) Funny I am 57 and don't think of myself as an old lady. LOL
As butterflywing once replied to me...there's no such word as 'old'...no such description!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:22 PM

keep your chin up and keep quilting. If someone is not nice to you, be twice as nice back. That will either irritate them, or make them realize you don't care what they think. If they keep acting immature, move on and find true friends. Search for other shunned people in the group and start your own group. even if it is two or three you'll be happier. Make sure to make good rules and enforce them. It's all about making friends and sharing/learning form each other. Quilting is an art and art in in the eye of the beholder. God created us in His image. We were created to create. God's creation sometimes has no pattern. God Makes everything beautiful. I wish I could see what beauty you have created!