Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Copying" and Copyrights.... >

"Copying" and Copyrights....

"Copying" and Copyrights....

Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Mkay...I know this may be a touchy subject but I'm new to the world of quilt patterns and such. I've sewn for a long time. Drafting things on graph paper. So.....what's the parameters for using blocks?

Like, anyone can make a nine patch. It's not hard to come up with, right? What about a pinwheel? An applique basket? Bear claw? You may not be able to imagine those in your mind...but if you SAW it...you could probably figure it out. So, are you doing anything "bad" by liking something, and then making it? Is there a quilting rulebook somewhere?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator

fix a beverage, and use the search (top of the page) to find our many, many discussions of the subject. tons of posts. :-)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM

OOps....thanks Patrice! Didn't know there was a horse, ready to be beaten. :D
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Administrator

poor horsie gets abused too much. now he can rest and recover while you read. :-)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
OOps....thanks Patrice! Didn't know there was a horse, ready to be beaten. :D
Don't worry, and always ask. But you will learn that the search is a very valuable tool here. Like she said, get a beverage. The last thread I read about this was reaaaaaaaally long.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I've made a couple of quilts completely "on my own" - and few weeks or months later, I've seen something very similar in a book or magazine that is/was copyrighted.

There was no way I could have copied something I had never seen.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Gal

I imagine that quilts are much like paintings, I can sell my original paintings, but should I copy someone elses painting and sell it, then I could be done for copy right. If I painted a painting copying someone elses work and gave it away then I can't be done for copy right! If you gave your quilt away to a charity or family member then you are not going to be done for copy right. (It only comes into play when you are selling the item concerned, for money and/or at exhibition level you would only want to be 100% original wouldn't you!.) I hope to make my own designs too one day, it is difficult to be 100% original as so much has been done before and we are of course influenced by what has come before us. As I do with my paintings, I keep well ahead of current trends etc by doing a lot of reading and research about my chosen field.
For my quilts, I use patterns and ideas from books etc that have been published especially for use of their patterns, then that way the original designer has given permission for others to copy her patterns, you can't go wrong doing that!
Some designs are very old and no one knows now who the original creator was unfortunately.
I have been working on a series of paintings only to find someone else has done a similar kind of theme, it happens all the time!
Gal