Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Puppy help......what kind to get >

Puppy help......what kind to get

Puppy help......what kind to get

Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 AM

I think you need to determine what you want from this dog before you decide what kind. Is this dog going to be a service dog or a companion. I know a service dog can also be a companion, but it does not always go the other way. Also, service dogs do need extra training and usually have to go thru testing, I believe. The training is a lot of work, as it usually requires extensive socialization in a variety of situations so that the dog is calm in new places and aroudn new people. Obviously you want a dog that is loyal to your daughter, but if it is a service dog that will attend public appointments and such with her, it has to allow peopel to do their job. I would contact the canine companion site that someone posted to get further information. Also, if your daughter is working with OT or PT, I would talk with them also.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 AM
JJs
Banned

http://www.memorylossonline.com/service_dogs.htm

http://www.wilderwood.org/

http://www.saintfrancisdogs.org/

ok, I typed in "service dogs for brain injury" in google search and came up with a ton of links - here's just three
Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 AM
JJs
Banned

http://servicedogcentral.org/forum/index.php?board=39.0

also found a forum you might check out if you haven't already..
my daughter was born with brain injury (prenatal stroke) and another probably during her heart surgery.... our (former) SIL had massive aneurysm then a stroke...
Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Google Paws With A Cause. They are a national org that trains all kinds of service dogs large and small.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ginnie6
Ok here's another idea on a dog...still a big one but very low metabolism so nowhere near as hyper as a lab and doesn't eat a ton. A Great Pyrenees. Now when you look them up you will see that they are livestock guardian dogs. What they won't tell you though is that they are incredibly sensitive dogs. They bond with whatever/whoever they grow up with. I know people who have them as medical alert dogs. Our first one Bandit used to let me know when my bp was up. he would come and stand against me and push till I sat down. I finally figured out what he was doing when he did that! Every single time my bp was up. Bandit even alerted us that dd was going to start having her periods. Our gp now is not that tuned in to me....he's still a pup though and is more tuned to dd. They are very big dogs though and require grooming but if you want a dog that is devoted and protective of your dd I can't recommend one enough. This is Tucker with my dd....she's 13 and 5' tall to give you an idea of size.
What a beauty, years ago my sister had Newfoundlands basically a black Great Pyreneese. My sis had a male that she showed then she got a female to breed and since she said the dogs would be married she named the female Bride. :lol: :lol:
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

Thank you for all the info I have calls to make and web sites to check out, I thought I checked at everything out there available now you told me of places I didn't even know about.

I will keep you posted as to what we do. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM

If you get a puppy you will have added work. Older dogs, at least two are far less hyper and less work depending on the breed. All breeds have good points, all breeds have bad points. Currently we have a wonderful lab/bassett mix. Looks like a small lab but with short wrinkly legs and splay feet of a bassett. Also the oily smelly coat of a bassett but with the gentle quietness of a lab. There used to be a web site called "Select a Breed" and you typed in the qualities that you wanted, activity levels, care levels, etc. and it would match you up with 3 or 4 breeds that would best suit your wants and needs.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I know my friend that has the service dog got him when he was 2. He's lab and retriever, and a great dog. he was fully trained when she got him, but he still made mistakes. He is trained to take paper from the computer, and she said when he first came, he would hear the printer, and get SO excited about his JOB, he'd rip it out with out waiting...when he comes into where I work, you dont even know he's there....(til I slip him a treat, LOL)
Old 05-15-2010, 04:03 AM

Dogs are wonderful companions every one has a different personality even within breeds. I have for the first time 2 chihuahua's I am fostering. Love them, couldn't stand chihuahua's before as all the ones I met were nasty mean spoiled little things. Rosa couldn't be more loving and cuddly and Niko is an active funny little boy. They do follow me everywhere. I wish you the best of luck I know how hard it is on disability, I live with my daughter and we would both love for me to get my own place.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:17 AM

I have a Pug and a Chihua and the pug was so hyper till she turned 2 and since then she has been great the little chihua was a lot calmer but all dogs are different no matter what the breed its hard to determine their nature without seeing holding and being around them