Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Rice bags quick and easy. >

Rice bags quick and easy.

Rice bags quick and easy.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:44 PM

I was asked to make a tutorial on rice bags so here it goes.
They are real easy to make. You can make them any shape you want and fill them with just about any thing. Rice, corn, barley, peas, beans. They just have to be dry goods.

Step One: choose your fabric. I recommend using something that is like a coton. you want to stay with natural fibers and thread. Just to be on the safe side of melting.
Step Two: Choose your size: figure out where you are wanting the bag for and make the measurements accordingly.
Step Thee. Choose and cut out your fabric shape. The simplest shape is a rectangle or square. those I recommend cutting it on the fold. that way one side is already "Stitched together for you". I have done it both ways.
Step four: Stitch together. if making a square or rectangle start at one fold side. if you are sewing a shape or have two peoces of fabric to sew start at the end you are wanted to leave the hole to add the filler in. with the right sides together, do a back stitch to help secure the fabric and hole. then sew all the sides together making sure you leave a gap to turn the bag inside out and a hole for the rice to go into.
Step Five: Turn your fabric inside out through the hole you left.
Step Six: Add your filler. if using rice you can scent the bag with essential oils before you put the rice in. I have used rose and lavender in different bags they make them smell wonderful when they are warm.
step seven: sew up the hole you had left to turn and fill your bag.

hole left for the rice or filler to be added
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68580[/ATTACH]

fabric after turned inside out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68581[/ATTACH]

this is how I sewed the bag closed on a rectangle. If you can do better please post how you did it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68582[/ATTACH]

step three cut fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68672[/ATTACH]

pinned fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68673[/ATTACH]

sewn fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68674[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68575.jpe   attachment-68576.jpe   attachment-68577.jpe   attachment-68667.jpe   attachment-68668.jpe  

attachment-68669.jpe  
Old 05-16-2010, 12:50 PM

I couldn't find the bag that I was going to gut to fill this one so I haven't been able to finish it completely yet. have to find where my daughter has hidden it. Hope that you have fun making your bags and get lots of relief from them. I know that I have.

I almost forgot the most important thing. When you use rice don't use the minute rice or cooked rice. the same with any other item. you want the stuff that takes a lot of water and at least 20 min to cook. Also you want to keep your bags from getting wet. They will mold and be useless if you get them wet. Friend learned this the hard way. hehe. Good luck on your bags.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Google Goddess

thanks again for the tutorial!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Thank You.. Do you warm the rice bag?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:55 PM

yes you put them in the microwave. They work great. I figure on one minute for every lbs of rice. The timing also depends on how tight the rice is packed and your microwave. So you just have to test it out.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Pam

I used a bag of popcorn in mine. It does not pop, and smells yummy. I use it when I sew in the winter to keep my little tootsies warm. I just put it on the floor next to the pedal so I can warm both feet at the same time. My main problem with doing this is that then Sweet Tater, my Chihuahua sits on my feet and makes me sew too fast. She likes it, too!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Those are also good to put those pellets in that swell up in water and stay cold if you want an ice pack.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM

I use a long white cotton heavy sock. It molds wherever you need it and I use a small massager,battery operated, in mine,this really helps on those nerve endings. Just be sure to take out before you warm the rice. I got my massager from wally world for about 3.00 dollars 2 years ago.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM

One question ..when you put essential oils in the rice bags and then when you heat them in the microwave , will the scent of the oils mess up your microwave to where it will make anything heated in it from then on smell like the oils are taste like the oils???
Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 AM

how much rice do you use?