Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Rice bags quick and easy. >

Rice bags quick and easy.

Rice bags quick and easy.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 AM

Depending on the size of your bag,you fill it about 2/3thirds full. This allows the rice to warm through. If you use a scent it will not affect your microwave at all. I heat mine 2 minutes,and I have two cups of rice in mine. It may vary with your microwave.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:40 AM

I have also made an outer cover for mine. That way it's easy to clean.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 AM

I like to put dried lavender and peppermint leaves in mine. Very relaxing and they do not leave an odor in the microwave and last a long time. I lightly spritz both sides with water before microwaving it.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:49 AM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Here is a wee bit of advice. I store mine in a zip lock bag when not in use. Why, do you ask> Well, we had a little field mice pop in for a visit, and he/she thought the rice in bag was a wonderful treat we had prepared just for him. Never had a mouse in our house before. Zip lock bag works wonderful. Just wait until bag cool before putting away though. There isnothing better when you have been quilting all day for your achey brakey back!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 AM

I made some in similar shapes for shoulders and put "channels" in them so they balance. Don't have any pictures...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Thank you! I used feild corn, dried in mine!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 AM

Thank-you for the tut. I've been hearing about these but never made one. My friend, Marge, has made small rice pillows and they are really nice.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I couldn't find the bag that I was going to gut to fill this one so I haven't been able to finish it completely yet. have to find where my daughter has hidden it. Hope that you have fun making your bags and get lots of relief from them. I know that I have.

I almost forgot the most important thing. When you use rice don't use the minute rice or cooked rice. the same with any other item. you want the stuff that takes a lot of water and at least 20 min to cook. Also you want to keep your bags from getting wet. They will mold and be useless if you get them wet. Friend learned this the hard way. hehe. Good luck on your bags.
I've made lots of these bags and what I've learned is that they DO get soiled so I started making a bag out of muslin or ugly fabric that I'll never use (the "what was I thinking?" kind of fabric we all have a piece or two of) and fill THAT bag with the rice or whatever then I make a pretty outside cover with a small zipper so I can remove the outside for laundering but the rice bag stays intact and is not laundered.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM

so this only makes sense if we do not use a seperate bag for the rice then it cant be laundered ? correct
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM

when did you put the seperate bag in ? the small hole