Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dooooh....stupid >

Dooooh....stupid

Dooooh....stupid

Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM

I have a simple Janome, Sew Precise machine for about 2 years now. Lately when I was sewing the fabric startet to pucker and it was hard to start a seam.Most of the time I had to do the seam twice or three times...or...or...or... otherwise I couldn't use the piece.More and more it was driving me crazy. I was thinking the feed dog has to be fixed I already imagined how many dollars would fly out of the window. In additon there is no Janome dealer around here. This morning after I got more angry than ever then I had a bright moment. How about looking in my manual in the chapter troublshooting, the fabric is not fed smoothly : the feed dog is packed with lint. Took everything apart and was very surprised how much lint was there , I pulled out a lot of junky pieces. Put everything back together...made a sample seam....oh...how nice...and how quiet the machine was working...humming like a busy bee.
My world was centered again.
Why I didn't clean the machine before...I don't know.

Now I asked everyone out there how often do you do this job ???

Was someone so stupid like me and had an aha moment before you tried to throw out of the window your machine?

looking forward to read your posts, thank you :) :) :)
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM

I remember, years ago, I was doing a lot of sewing on my Pfaff machine, this was before I was quilting and I started having trouble similar to what you were experiencing. Then I noticed that my throat plate wouldn't sit properly. Well, I finally popped off that throad plate and the lint was so bad between the feed dogs that it had lifted the plate up. Since then, I pop off that plate all the time and clean the feed dogs. Probably every other bobbin or so, I will clean the feet and the bobbin area. Glad you got it figured out before you took it somewhere to get "fixed"
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I check my feed dogs and bobbin area after every 2-3 bobbins. Usually a quick peek will tell me if I need to stop and clean. I do a very thorough cleaning after every project.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

We must be related. Yesterday my Janome 4900 memory craft started breaking the thread every time I tried to sew then it the needle wouldn't go alway down to the bobbin , it would hit the holder for the bobbin. I said same thing, oh no, what is this going to coast, how long without a machine? Guess what there was so much lint behind the bobbin holder, i have been cleaning it out. I stuck a pin down in the sides as far as I could move it around. terrible lint...Poor baby.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 AM

We had a post recently that was named "Have you cleaned and oiled your machine lately". Everytime I see that title I am reminded I need to do it. It is amazing how many little critters can be in there. I am glad your world is back on the proper axis. (Kinda makes you think the manufacturer was serious when they included that owners manuel.) :P
Old 05-24-2010, 11:51 AM

My Juki says every 8 hours to oil and clean. I do so faithfully. I like seeing how much lint comes out.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Glad you have your machine running again!

One of my first quilting books had a section at the end of each project suggesting you hug your machine, put in a new needle, and give it a good cleaning. It was a great introduction to how to treat our partner in making our creations :)

You also mention difficulty getting started on each seam ... since I started using 'leaders' I have never had a seam get sucked into the feed dogs ... I use a little scrap and start and end my seams - besides doing a better job keeping those seams straight at the start and end, you've already got the threads neatly snipped.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM

I blow into the bobbin area everytime I change a bobbin... I only consider cleaning/oiling my piecing machine ( Janome) when it starts sounding loud, and 'pound-y'. I know,.... baaaaaad owner!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Oh my don't blow into your bobbin. That isn't good for it. I learned this from the HQ 16 people and my Pfaff dealer and the Janome dealer. It can cause something like condensation because your breath is moist. Get a lint brush brush it out. Don't use canned air either unless you oil extremely well this can dry out your machine.

Nettie
Old 05-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

It's like instant gratification to see all that lint and little pieces of thread...that's one chore I don't mind doing! :)