Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge.......with a prize June sign up >

weight loss challenge.......with a prize June sign up

weight loss challenge.......with a prize June sign up

Old 06-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I didn't want to get on the scale as I would have been bummed if I had gained weight. I didn't gain, not one pound. I'm pleased as I tried to watch what I was eating. It was hard while traveling, everything is pretty high calorie when you eat out.

Thanks Missy, I like to travel, but it's always good to come home to your own bed.
There is no place like home. I am so proud of you for not gaining any weight! That is wonderful!

Missy
Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Since my only insurance is the VA, I have to get it approved through them. Let's see...
#1 My back is fused from T2 - S1. I am in a lot of pain caused by DD boobs and a big belly. The doctors have said there isn't anything they can do surgically. Would drastic weight loss surgery help?

#2 My knees are both bad and will need to be replaced. The right one probably in the next year. Wouldn't losing a huge amount of weight help just a little?

#3 I am diabetic. Losing weight would help keep me off of insulin

#4 If I wasn't quite so big, I could exercise, improve my lung function (and stay off oxygen) and save my heart. (I sometimes have a little chest pain.)

#5 Perhaps I wouldn't be as depressed if I was succeeding at losing weight. I could focus on getting through my grief and my ptsd because I would be strong enough to think clearly.

So, I have written a letter to the Hospital Administrator with all this listed + the fact that I am legally blind. I see the doctor on the 23rd. I don't care what I have to go through, but I have suffered with anorexia, bulimia, and body dismorphia (where you can't see the real you, all you see is fat, fat and more fat.)

CAROLJ - If you can deal with your transformation without surgery, go for it. I will support you, cheer for you, cry with you and laugh with you. I'll giggle as you get new clothes. I'm pulling for all of the people here.

I've been fighting with this for 47 years. It is time for me to yell uncle and get some dramatic help.
I totally agree with you!! You HAVE suffered enough. Please write that letter and keep us updated. I love the support we have for one another here. I certainly will support everyone who is doing this without surgery. I have nearly 300 pounds to lose so for me this is all about saving my life. I can totally relate to you about doing whatever it takes to get this weight off. BIG HUGS!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 PM

I was also on vacation. I was at a quilting retreat for a week and you know how quilters eat. Oh my word... I was afraid to get on the scale also so I didn't! I decided to wait till I re-aclimate myself to my regular routine again. If I weighed now I would just say forget it and eat till the end of the month and start again July 1.

Vovoa
Old 06-21-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by vovoa
I was also on vacation. I was at a quilting retreat for a week and you know how quilters eat. Oh my word... I was afraid to get on the scale also so I didn't! I decided to wait till I re-aclimate myself to my regular routine again. If I weighed now I would just say forget it and eat till the end of the month and start again July 1.

Vovoa
Oh my gosh, it is a battle isn't it.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM

It certainly is CarolJ, I'm proud of you for not gaining any weight that must of been really hard for you. :thumbup:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 PM

I don't want to brag or make anybody jealous or anything,
but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school. :^O
Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
I don't want to brag or make anybody jealous or anything,
but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school. :^O
HEHEHE!! That is funny!

Missy
Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM

All right cosumegirl stop showing off :)
Old 06-21-2010, 05:20 PM

:)
Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Ok, since I am not on the official list for June...signed up too late...It should not make anyone feel as if they don't have a chance to win.

I wrote a while back about how I started out at over 305 back in March.

Went to see Doctor again yesterday. It was my last time with him, as he will be transferred onto a ship next, so now I get to hunt for new one. Drats, I hate loosing one that really cares.

So, you know the drill, had to be weighed in.
Official scales read 270.8

So now for your sakes to help you see the progress...

10 March 2010...295.8
25 March 2010...287.5
6 April 2010........286.0
9 April 2010........281.8
15 April 2010......280.0
6 May 2010........270.4
Got sick...
18 May 2010......273.2
22 June 2010.....270.8

So you can see, even with the strict diet for diabetes, my weight varies. I do have a problem with fluid retention, so bad that sometimes my legs, toes, hands and fingers resemble sausages.

That only accounts for smaller weight gains and losses however.
Doctors are still pleased with my progress.

It does help when I journal my foods, and activities, mood and schedule, plus blood sugar levels.

I have been in so much pain these last few weeks, have been staying mostly in my room, in bed.

Not feeling so cheerful either.
Suffering from heat, humidity, confinement, loss of my dog (who died from cancer this last week) and the fact that I have not had the strength to do any quilting..no hand work, no machine work, and eyes will not even focus to read a book on new techniques.

Tomorrow, my best friend, Patti, will be taking me to the morning guild meeting. I am hoping that helps to lift my spirits.
I have several of my emptied test strip containers that I will be taking to the meeting.

I have taken the Rx label off, and removed the adhesive.
They are water tight, air tight, and when I put a bit of felt into the bottom, they become a wonderful needle safe.

If I could afford to ship them, I would let you ladies have a say at taking them. I use at least 1-2 of them per month.

They could be either customized by using small piece of nice wrapping paper and some tape, or fabric glued right to outside edge, where the Rx label used to be.

Then, if you put a small stuffed yo-yo on top with a hot glue gun, you could also use as a small pin cushion.

Only way I can send you one, however, is if you are willing to pay shipping. PM me if you are interested. I would even customize it for you if you want.

Hoping you are all up to the challenge of becoming this month's big looser.

I will not be too late to enter for July.

Hugs,
Grandma12