Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 AM

Dang, Minda, for a minute there I thought you were talking about that magic foot above that gets lost and acts up. Back to reality. I got a darning foot for Christmas and I love it. It goes to older machines, too. Got it from Discount Sewing Machine online for about $20.00.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:30 PM

I found a pair of gloves that have rubber dots on them this also helps you to move fabric more easily. Also practice every day.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 AM

I've tried all kinds of gloves and such but what I found works best is a couple of pieces of foam rubber, just big enough to fit in your palm.
kathy
Old 02-10-2007, 06:30 PM

[b]I have a Designer Se by Viking but I know there are other machines that have a fabric Mover that you can purchase separately. They are a huge success and you can move your fabric with your fingers. I was not able to do a large quilt with it but then I always use my short arm for anything over a crib quilt. This might or might not help but you have my sympathy. So far it has been worth the cost.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:01 PM

This might be a tip to try. Instead of lowering the feed dogs leave them up. If you are herky jerky this may help to steady your work and help with the thread problem. I also have bought the new Bernina 640E with the BSR and so far I'm not impressed with it. I have tried in in BSR1 and 2 and neither given me the results I want. I think the real key is to pratice and relax and enjoy. I have a problem with that, but am working on it. Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 AM

The day after I sent this message I sat down and tried everything anyone suggested including a really nice e-mail from one of you. My biggest problem was the tension and I had to set it down to 1 vs. the normal 3. Don't know if this is where it should be or not because the Bernina book didn't even mention thread tension when using the BSR. Then, like a few of you, I discovered I was going too fast. The BSR does have a "cruise control" - it beeps when you go too fast. I have never had loops referred to by some of you. I think it is because of the Bernina BSR. Since I have never tried to free motion quilt before the BSR I have nothing to compare to. But, am thinking it was a good idea to get it after reading the problems some are having without it. Still not as good as I would like, but believe it is called practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 AM

Which Bernina do you have? Mine is a 1080--and I don't have it. How far up the ladder in cost is it to get this feature? I want to learn free motion and so far the results have been terrible. I know I need to practice, but with so little time to sew anyway, how do you squeeze in practice time and and still have tim left for making quilts? I haven't figured out whether I should give up eating or sleeping or going to work. Know which I'd like it to be, but can't afford that one yet, eventually, but not yet. :)
Old 02-14-2007, 11:24 AM

Less than a year ago I bought the Bernina 440QE (quilter's edition). You should go to Bernina website to find out which models you can get with the BSR as part of it or as an add-on. All of them are very expensive. If you can find a quilt shop that is also a Bernina representative, that would be the best because they also offer classes on how to use the machine and for $$ quilt classes. I took beginning quilting and machine quilting classes and am very glad I did. Good luck - BTW, I am retired but I also knit, crochet, hook rugs, and on and on, so have to make time to quilt because I find it very time consuming if done right.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly try to get to the dealer. We have one in town and I'll check it out.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:57 AM

well I'm using a singer ingenuity, pretty plain, I have a real problem keeping a steady speed, just about the time I get it all together and looking good it's time to stop and reposition the quilt. Last nite I unthreaded the needle and held the foot pedal in my hand and squeezed till it got to the exact speed I like and made a mark on it. My hubby super glued a small piece of wood so it will not go any faster than that so now all I have to do is "put the pedal to the metal" ( or wood rather lol) I have learned that faster is better than slower and my stitches are well regulated, they're a little smaller than I'd like but that's better than too big, I'm trying to get my movement down now to make them a tiny bit bigger but the quality is good. I still can't follow lines though, I think that is going to take a lot of practice.