Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
5 Little Monkeys quilt >

5 Little Monkeys quilt

5 Little Monkeys quilt

Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 AM

An acquaintance of mine has been asked to make the quilt featured in a Quiltmaker magazine and wants me to help her since she does not have an embroidery machine. I have only seen the pics online and I do not know the exact stitch count, but there is a lot of embroidery showing in the pic. This is a gorgeous quilt, but it looks extremely labor intensive to me. I am going to decline doing the embroidery as I do not have a business, just a hobby. She told me she was going to quote a price of $500 and asked my opinion. I told her she would have to charge at least $1000 to make a small profit. Without knowing the exact stitch count, I am guessing it is going to cost close to $500 for the embroidery alone. I think this is a lovey quilt to make as a gift for a family member or dear friend, but not for sale.
What is your opinion, maybe I am wrong??????
http://www.quiltmaker.com/articles/5_Little_Monkeys
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM

I just order the designs and the magazine to make it for my son. There seems to be a lot of embroidery to sew out so it would take a while. As for pricing, I have no comment. I normally don't sell my quilt. They usually have a way of walking out of my house and into my family and friends's house.
Good luck. :-P
Old 06-24-2010, 09:17 AM

Lulu,
I think it is s gorgeous quilt, looking forward to seeing your pics.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
An acquaintance of mine has been asked to make the quilt featured in a Quiltmaker magazine and wants me to help her since she does not have an embroidery machine. I have only seen the pics online and I do not know the exact stitch count, but there is a lot of embroidery showing in the pic. This is a gorgeous quilt, but it looks extremely labor intensive to me. I am going to decline doing the embroidery as I do not have a business, just a hobby. She told me she was going to quote a price of $500 and asked my opinion. I told her she would have to charge at least $1000 to make a small profit. Without knowing the exact stitch count, I am guessing it is going to cost close to $500 for the embroidery alone. I think this is a lovey quilt to make as a gift for a family member or dear friend, but not for sale.
What is your opinion, maybe I am wrong??????
http://www.quiltmaker.com/articles/5_Little_Monkeys
Perhaps you could contact the digitizer for stitch count info. the designs are available on Oregonpatchworks.
[http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/item...5841&pid=62085]
Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 AM

That's an adorable quilt. It is a lot of stitching!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I've seen it and it is a great quilt. I can't imagine making it for sale though.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM

It's a cute pattern. One of my friends did this quilt and had problems with the embroidery puckering. She never did get it to sew out right. I think that the trouble that she had was because of her choice of fabric. So, it might be a good idea to try a stitch out of the pattern before committing to the fabric.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM

That is an adorable quilt, but an expensive one to make. There are quite a few embroideries, and machine appliques. I don't think I would consider making this quilt for the purpose of selling it. I think your estimates are pretty close. It would be expensive to have this quilt quilted by a longarm quilter, because it would require a custom job working around the many embroideries.

There have been countless threads on this board about how the general public just aren't willing to spend their money for a quilt when there are cheap alternatives at chain stores.

The quilt in my avatar is all machine appliqued. There are 50 appliques in this twin sized quilt. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours, and how much stabilizer went into it. I made it for my Mom.

The quilt is adorable but is probably one that should only be made as a work of love for a special child.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Thank you all for you responses!!! I fully agree that it is a lovely quilt and will make a wonderfull gift. I want one myself lol!!!!
The lady is a person that I do not see very often and doesn't embroider so I felt she was 'kind of sort of' doubting my opinion of the cost.
I embroider and quilt as a hobby so I referred her to a good friend that has a commercial embroidery shop.
My friend told her the exact same thing, way too labor intensive to make and try to sell for profit.
Janet, on the 'auction' program a man bought in a gorgeous hand appliqued on wool quilt his grandmother had made. Beautiful and well cared for, appraised at $10,000. Sounds like a lot to a person that doesn't do hand work lol!!! We know better. Yours is beautiful too!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

I have no idea of the cost involved to make the quilt either, but I absolutely love this quilt. I made one for a friend of ours expecting their first grandchild, and my husband is always after me to do these for baby gifts, but I think it probably cost way more than I realize!

I modified mine a bit.

The designs aren't well done, they are extremely dense and I don't believe you CAN stabalize them enough to make them lay flat.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107159.jpe   attachment-107160.jpe