Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help, please!

Blog Entries

Help, please!

Forgot to bring manual with me when I brought a Singer 301A to the cabin. In the process of changing the needle. Got old one out but didn't pay attention - which way does the flat side of needle go for this machine? (posted same ? in Vintage section). Thank's for any help someone might be able to give.
    Mavis

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    I have no idea, but I did google it, and found a you tube video perhaps this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTjH2R8mTg
    Resolve to be thyself, and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. Mathew Arnold 'Self-Dependence' 1822-1888

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting View Post
    I have no idea, but I did google it, and found a you tube video perhaps this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTjH2R8mTg
    Thank's for the link. Got my needle in. Now I have to work through some thread tension issues. Must be a sign I should quit for today.
    Mavis

I think you're right - when things start going wrong it is good to walk away for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
    Forgot to bring manual with me when I brought a Singer 301A to the cabin. In the process of changing the needle. Got old one out but didn't pay attention - which way does the flat side of needle go for this machine? (posted same ? in Vintage section). Thank's for any help someone might be able to give.
    Turn the machine upside down and grab a flashlight.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I had that same dilemma yesterday! Hahaha! Had to use my 301 that I haven't used in over 2 years because my 'official' machine is in the shop and the quilts must get done.

To our advantage it seemed the needle only wanted to go in one way and not any other way....whewwww close one.

It stitched PERFECTLY after a good oiling and a little grease. LOVE this machine!

Nan
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I had the same problem year after year..... take a machine to the cabin and forget something I needed. So, I solved the issue. There is a machine at the cabin year round now. I was a little worried that winter might cause a problem..... we winterize and don't heat...... but when we got back this month..... she worked just fine. All I did was give her an oil bath and off she went. Now, I don't have to remember stuff.... it's here!!

I get a hand mirror so I can see where the flat part of the needle goes. Works really well for me, just did it yesterday when changing a needle.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

amh
    I think it only goes in one way, so if it slides in easily you should have it correct. The other way is to recall how you threaded the needle. The flat side is on the other side of the needle. If you thread from the front, the flat side is on the back. If you thread from the left side, the flat side is on the right side.

Hope this helps if you haven't got it in yet.

amh
    Aileen
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Blog Entries
    Thank's for all the helpful replies. Discovered last night I could download & view the manual for free off internet. (flat side goes to the left). This morning I finally retrieved a small snippet of thread from under needle plate area and got tension back to where it's supposed to be. Will attempt to finish hand binding tomorrow and then post a photo of this whirlwind quilting project.
    Mavis