Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Fleece headache.... >

Fusible Fleece headache....

Fusible Fleece headache....

Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 AM

I haven't had any problems with it, but I do press it from both sides. First the pellon side then the fabric side. So far, no problem when making my Bow Tucks.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by ToucanSam
Okay, this stuff drives me crazy. I'm on my second bow tucks purse and yeah, it does get sewn it some but I REALLY wish it would stick better.

Any suggestions? I'm using the Pellon like the pattern recommended....tired of it not sticking like I think it should though.

:)
I'm going to try my 1st this week, and after listening to all your comments I think I'll give mine a hit of spray baste to make sure it does stick and than iron. Can't hurt and should stick for sure.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 AM

I bought two packs at JoAnns (50% off) but haven't gotten around to using it. After reading the posts, I may never use it. May try it on a potholder or small item, see how it works or if it worth the trouble.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 AM

I do not like the fusible batting either. But I found that I like using the batting made for pot holders with the heat barrier. It has more body to it without adding lots of bulk.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 AM

I have made several bow tucks and use the 971 FF. I have had NO trouble with it. I use the steam on my iron a bit and you do have to go back once in awhile, but it works just fine for me. I had that trouble with the 987. The 971 was cheaper in price and it is a bit thicker. I LIKE IT......
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 AM
QKO

With the Pellon 987F it's pretty important that you follow the usage instructions exactly. Here's the instructions, directly off the packaging, for those who may not have gotten the manufacturers instructions where they bought the product:

Step 1: Cut fusible Fleece to the desired size.
Step 2: Place Fleece, fusible side up, on ironing board. Place fabric, right side up.on top of fleece.
Step 3: Fuse

For a Light Bond -- With iron at Wool/Steam setting, iron fabric in place. For most applications, this should hold the fleece for easy handling while the project is stitched and/or glued.

For an Extra-Strong Bond -- Cover fleece and fabric with a damp press cloth. With the iron at Woo/steam setting, press for 10-15 seconds. Repeat, overlapping iron until entire area is fused. For additional loft, use more than one layer of fleece.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 AM

I used the pellon the pattern called for and had no problem. Hot iron and held for a while. I am going to purchase again for my next BowTuck purse.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 AM

I use the fusible for projects like bags and purses, but I agree that it doesn't adhere well, so I use fusible spray as well. Seems to hold it OK till it gets quilted.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 AM

I've wondered if you couldn't just use wonder-under...
Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I've wondered if you couldn't just use wonder-under...
I would think so - it would give it the extra body the side of a bag needs!